Are you interested in this job opening? Are you the perfect fit for our organization? Click on Apply now! and we will walk you through our online application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please share this opportunity.
Return to FortisBC homepage
Making safety our #1 priority
||Relief System Power Dispatcher
||Full Time Regular
|# of Positions Available
|Reason for Posting
||Committed to British Columbia's energy needs, FortisBC provides safe, reliable and innovative energy solutions. The companies that make up FortisBC* deliver more energy than any other utility in the province, approximately 21 per cent of the total energy consumed in BC. We employ more than 2,000 people and serve more than 1.1 million customers in 135 communities. In addition to natural gas, electricity and piped propane, FortisBC develops and designs alternative energy solutions, including district energy and geoexchange, for today and tomorrow.
* FortisBC is the common brand identity under which the following businesses operate: FortisBC Inc., FortisBC Energy Inc., FortisBC Energy (Vancouver Island) Inc., and FortisBC Energy (Whistler) Inc.
||Job Specification: A Relief System Power Dispatcher is a member of the System Control Centre Operating team. The incumbent’s primary function is to relieve the System Power Dispatcher. The position requires shift work as per established shift schedules. When not required at the System Control Centre, the incumbent may be assigned to other departments. The position is subject to the Standby Standard of the Company.
• Monitor and control FortisBC generation, transmission and distribution systems.
• Prepare and execute switching procedures.
• Administer System Safety and Lockout related paperwork.
• Implement and adjust inter-utility schedules in order to have enough power to meet our load.
• Answer customer trouble calls and dispatch trouble crews.
• Maintain the system daily log sheet and associated documents for all work carried out on the system.
• Prepare daily reports on normal activities and report as required on system outages.
Special Skill Requirements:
• Ability to integrate safety into operational activities.
• Demonstrated leadership ability.
• Ability to work in high-stress environment.
• Good communication skills and a strong commitment to customer service.
Knowledge and Experience Requirements:
• Diploma in the Electrical or Computer Engineering Technology program
• Journeyman Trade Certification within the utility industry considered an asset
• Knowledge of FortisBC Lockout Procedures.
• Computer Knowledge - Word, Excel and Internet Application. The job is very computer dependent and the ability to quickly learn new applications is very important.
• Become NERC certified as a transmission operator. FortisBC will provide the training and opportunity to write the exam.
• This position requires shift-work – 12-hour shifts. The relief schedule is based on a 7.5 hour per day.
• The progression to System Power Dispatcher rate and shift schedule is defined in the collective agreement.
||This is an IBEW bargaining unit position and is paid according to the IBEW Progression to System Dispatcher Rate, along with a competitive benefits package.
FortisBC is committed to providing an extensive training program for any successful incumbents including training specific to becoming a NERC certified Transmission Operator.
FortisBC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
FortisBC thanks all applicants for their interest, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
At FortisBC, safety is at the core of everything we do and we strive to reach for zero injuries and incidents, every day. Our employees are each an example of this commitment, at work, at home, and in the communities we serve.