Are you interested in this job opening? Are you the perfect fit for our organization? Click on Apply now! and we will walk you through our online application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please share this opportunity.
Return to FortisBC homepage
Making safety our #1 priority
||Management & Exempt
||Full Time Regular
|M&E Pay Band
|# of Positions Available
|Reason for Posting
As a member of the Generation team, the Civil Engineer will provide engineering support to the maintenance and operations functions of FortisBC departments and third party customers. The Civil Engineer is responsible to provide engineering support on all Dam Safety matters. As well as being responsible for project specific engineering requirements; providing engineering support for ongoing civil issues associated with the dam structures.
• Interprets and applies regulations and design standards pertaining to civil issues; applies professional and engineering principles to develop an understanding of differing and variable situations that will guide thinking on ways to address/approach those situations.
• Performs inspections to ensure compliance with requirements such as the FortisBC Dam Safety Program and policy; makes engineering recommendations for corrective actions.
• Gathers and performs in-depth analysis of data for input into short term and long term capital plan; evaluates data/observations and prepares technical report of findings. Works with Network Services, System Planning, System Control Centre external third party customers and makes engineering recommendations for improvements that would minimize potential risks.
• Coordinates work with other engineers and various stakeholders to facilitate participation in the development of a project design; validates design with appropriate stakeholders with assistance as required.
• Provides technical support to System Operations, Project management and resolves civil engineering issues related to substations and generating facilities.
||Education and Experience:
• Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering
• 4-7 years of Civil Engineering experience in related industry
• Registration of a Professional Engineer with the Association of Engineers and Geoscientists of BC or immediate eligibility
• Valid BC driver’s license or the ability to obtain is required
• Ability to work with multiple stakeholders
• Ability to work as part of a large, multi-disciplined team
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Demonstrated ability to plan, set priorities and balance short and long term strategies to organize multiple projects
• Demonstrated computer skills (AutoCad, Microsoft Office and structural design software)
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve complicated problems
• Demonstrated knowledge of hydro-electric business including water management, equipment controls, dam safety and hydro operations and maintenance
• Demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practises related to civil/structural design
• Demonstrated knowledge of engineering design techniques, tools and principles with emphasis on concrete and structural design
• Demonstrated knowledge of safe work practices, policies and procedures
• Demonstrated knowledge of planning process for short and long term capital plans
Ability to drive for results through planning, alignment, execution, and customer experience/responsiveness
Ability to make optimal decisions through accountability, judgement, problem solving, prudent risk taking, market/industry awareness, and maintaining customer focus
Ability to drive and implement prudent change through continuous improvement, challenge the status quo/innovation, flexibility/adaptability and customer value – innovative customer solutions
Ability to build working relationships through respect & integrity, open communication, teamwork, negotiation/influence and customer relationship management
Ability to lead high performance through leading by example & initiative, continuous learning & coaching, measuring, rewarding & recognizing, customer service
At FortisBC, safety is at the core of everything we do and we strive to reach for zero injuries and incidents, every day. Our employees are each an example of this commitment, at work, at home, and in the communities we serve.