Are you interested in this job opening? Are you the perfect fit for our organization? Click on Apply now! and we will walk you through our online application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please share this opportunity.
Return to FortisBC homepage
Making safety our #1 priority
||Customer Service Technician 2
||Full Time Regular
|# of Positions Available
||DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Must be competent in a variety of skilled functions related to public safety, consumer relations and the welfare of Company property.
2. This shall include troubleshooting to a wide range of gas burning equipment and associated control media as required to identify safety issues and to make safe the appliance.
3. Must exercise good judgment, under general terms of reference, in carrying out remedial action and/or suspending service with proper follow-up action under codes and other requirements.
4. Must construct and test minor piping installations not requiring a gas fitter's license, or assist a Customer Service Technician 1.
5. Must carry out follow-up maintenance programs. This shall include service to gas burning equipment and associated control media.
6. The Customer Service Technician 2 shall be required to provide repair and adjustment service to all equipment indigenous to the residential and commercial field. A maximum 816 Megajoules (750,000 BTUs) per hour to any customers’ equipment with a flame guard safety such as thermocouple, thermobulb or bimetal element.
7. Shall install and field-maintain gas measurement and pressure regulation equipment including perform PFM and other work up to and including all meter sets that utilize a single run configuration, with or without a bypass (excluding instrument and turbine meter sets).
8. Shall carry out a variety of tests related to gas utilization involving the testing for and measurement of O2, CO, CO2 and other products of combustion and take such remedial action as is indicated;
9. Shall investigate, locate and categorize gas leakage on an emergency basis on either the consumers' premises or the Company's system and take all necessary action to protect the public and eliminate hazard.
10. Shall carry out a variety of other duties as required to assist other operational areas such as system pressure surveys, field work for Gas Supply Department and carry out surveys. Assist a Customer Service Technician 1 or System Operations Technician.
11. Shall carry out surveys, installations and maintenance of all components of distribution system and gas burning equipment at company locations involved in the distribution of natural and other gases.
12. Shall handle emergency incidents such as fires, explosions, asphyxiations, unplanned outages and in so doing, take certain initiatives and also cooperate with fire, police and other authorities and other Company groups.
13. Shall be responsible for the operation of portable L.N.G. vapourization equipment including: purging operations, liquid transfer, putting on and off line in a safe and efficient manner and for the overhaul of all mechanical components on such equipment.
14. Shall install house-lines, recesses, relief stacks, or vent lines for any volume or delivery pressure except that actual turn-on will be done by a System Operations Technician where loads or pressures listed in this job description are exceeded.
15. They will be expected to operate a variety of tools and equipment associated with the delivery of the above.
16. In regard to consumer relations, shall offer current and potential customers technical and promotional advice on such matters as space heating, water heating, cooking, clothes drying, and the general heating and insulation requirements of their residence. Shall be conversant with the relative advantages of natural gas for these uses.
17. The CST 2 must hold a Provincial Gasfitter’s License Utility Grade and will be required to obtain their Provincial Gasfitter’s License Grade B within 12 months of qualifying to write for it (i.e. holding a Provincial Gasfitter’s License Utility Grade for 2 years). Failure to obtain the Provincial Gas Fitter's License Grade B within this 12 month period shall result in the employee being returned to his previously-held classification. The Customer Service Technician 2 will automatically be promoted to Customer Service Technician 1 upon attaining the Provincial Gas Fitter's License Grade B and upon completion of a twelve month period of probation as a Customer Service Technician 2.
||QUALIFICATIONS (Must Have):
1. Hold a Provincial Gasfitter’s License Utility Grade
2. Demonstrated safe work habits and adherence to safety regulations and practices on a sustained basis.
3. A valid Class 5 Driver’s License and safe driving record.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of theory and operation of material and equipment relating to gas distribution work.
5. Demonstrated or displayed in evaluation tests, the ability to exercise judgement; act on own initiative with a sense of responsibility; work independently; maintain a high standard of performance; good mechanical aptitude and manual dexterity.
6. Demonstrated proficiency in the use of power operated and hand tools, equipment and instruments.
7. Ability to prepare summaries, reports, and complex work orders, etc. quickly and accurately.
8. Must have a minimum of 2 ½ years technical experience in the gas industry and be able to pass a related Company exam. Must be fully competent in all aspects of distribution operations.
9. Demonstrated ability to learn, understand, and administer the Distribution Operation Emergency Response process.
10. Demonstrated ability to exercise judgement, act on own initiative resulting in a high level of quality of performance. May also be required to provide technical direction or training.
11. Demonstrated proficient computer skills; for Outlook and Pipeline navigation.
12. General good health, adequate physical strength and agility, a good sense of smell.
1. Ability to effectively “trouble shoot” and locate leaks; absorb, follow and retain verbal and written instruction; possess a thorough knowledge of theory and operation of all material and equipment relating to customer services; be proficient in the use of tools and testing equipment; communicate effectively with radio equipment/ Syclo, be knowledgeable about residential heating systems, furnaces and natural gas appliances, Gas Code B 149.1.
2. Work is often in enclosed or tight spaces
3. Considerable lifting, bending and kneeling.
4. Shift work may be required.
5. Standby is required as per the provisions set out in the IBEW Collective Agreement
6. NOT afraid of heights.
1. Only applicants who meet all the “Must Have’s” listed above will be considered for this posting.
2. The successful candidate must adhere to the residency requirement (30 minute response time).
3. Out of town work required.
4. This position will provide standby coverage for remote towns in the East Kootenays.
At FortisBC, safety is at the core of everything we do and we strive to reach for zero injuries and incidents, every day. Our employees are each an example of this commitment, at work, at home, and in the communities we serve.