Are you interested in this job opening? Are you the perfect fit for our organization? Click on Apply now! and we will walk you through our online application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please share this opportunity.
Return to FortisBC homepage
Making safety our #1 priority
||FortisBC Holdings Inc
||Management & Exempt
||Full Time Regular
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Tax Services this position takes responsibility for providing a full range of services in tax to both the Gas and Electric divisions, including income tax and commodity tax planning and compliance, and provides leadership and guidance to other tax professionals in the tax services group
- Provide leadership in the preparation and review of quarterly and annual income tax provisions and financial statement disclosures; work closely with the financial reporting group to meet income tax reporting obligations. Play a key role in maintaining effective controls within the tax area, and ensuring all required documentation is in place.
- Manage the tax compliance process, including the preparation and review of complex returns.
- Provide leadership and assist operating and business units in GST and PST matters to minimize the company's liability and ensure adherence to relevant legislation and to meet operational requirements
- Provide leadership in federal and provincial tax audit management, including developing audit strategies.
- Participate in due diligence of corporate acquisitions and reorganizations, including analyzing the tax aspects of agreements and advising management of their implications.
- Maintain an up-to-date detailed knowledge of current tax legislation and its implications for the company. Research tax issues and prepare documentation for executive consideration that effectively presents or defends the company’s tax strategies. Provide guidance on the tax implications of new accounting pronouncements.
- Contribute to the training and guidance of other tax professionals in the tax services group.
Education and Experience:
Chartered Accountant designation, completion of the CICA “In Depth” tax course and a minimum of eight (8) years’ experience, including experience in tax in public practice. Additional experience within the tax group of a large corporation is preferable.
Experience in a regulated environment would be an asset.
Role Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong technical knowledge of Canadian corporate taxation
- Technical knowledge of GST/HST/PST and other sales taxes
- Knowledge of U.S. GAAP as it relates to taxes
- Ability to multi-task and deal with workload pressure
- Attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, meet priorities and to work within demanding work schedules.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems/conflict
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Intermediate level computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
At FortisBC, safety is at the core of everything we do and we strive to reach for zero injuries and incidents, every day. Our employees are each an example of this commitment, at work, at home, and in the communities we serve.