Are you interested in this job opening? Are you the perfect fit for our organization? Click on Apply now! and we will walk you through our online application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please share this opportunity.
Return to FortisBC homepage
||Field Design Specialist
||Full Time Regular
|# of Positions Available
|Reason for Posting
||The Field Design Specialist meets customers to determine current and future requirements for small distribution new connects with respect to location, load and service type. This position will also provide coordination and manage quality control for delivery of projects as required. In addition, the Field Design Specialist will provide customers with service requirements and accountabilities and provide/or confirm technical and field information to Design /Project Specialists for the design of complex new connects.
||• Provide cost effective constructible design and project management for new services of standard complexity.
• Ensure that designs meet all applicable government, industry, and company standards, based on infrastructure in place, location factors, operational considerations and all external stakeholders approvals.
• Provide field support to design specialists for designing complex services that have one or more of the following: transmission crossings, joint use facilities, railway crossings, registered airstrips, underground in urban areas, primary subdivisions, joint use projects, navigable waterways, voltage conversions, and projects on crown lands.
• Manage customer relationship from customer acceptance to construction completion.
• Manage FDS projects focusing on safety, customer deadlines, requirements and cost.
• Determine requirements for and request internal and external resources such as surveying, land and brushing and identify specialized equipment required.
• Manager and field coordinate line contractors for construction delivery of distribution projects as required.
• Initiate risk and hazard analysis and identify environmental concerns.
• Complete staking and underground locating for projects – may also involve profiling for ensuring proper clearances, underground locating, using staking data to determine pole locations, locate and apply survey evidence, perform mathematical calculations
||Special Skill Requirements:
• Strong project management, customer service and communication skills
• Strong problem solving ability
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Strong team building and professional relationship skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills for liaison with external and internal stakeholders.
Knowledge and Experience Requirements:
• 2 year Technical Diploma
• Power Line Technician trade qualification certificate is an asset.
• 4 years related experience in distribution design, surveying, construction or operations of distribution powerline facilities.
• Knowledge of electrical distribution systems
• Knowledge of and ability to apply legal plans and electrical codes – Canadian Electrical Code.
• Knowledge of Land Survey Act.
• Comprehensive knowledge of computer systems including Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, Access and MS Outlook
• Comprehensive knowledge of Geographical Information System(s).
• Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage a wide variety of tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail.
• Valid BC driver’s license