Are you interested in this job opening? Are you the perfect fit for our organization? Click on Apply now! and we will walk you through our online application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please share this opportunity.
Return to FortisBC homepage
||Financial Accountant (TEMPORARY)
- Develops and produces corporate consolidated financial statements on a monthly basis by reviewing and analyzing legal financial statements of FortisBC Holdings Inc. and subsidiaries to determine significant changes as validity tests are applied; reviewing and considering conditions of share ownership status in the consolidating process; obtaining consolidation details from subsidiaries; preparing complex consolidation journal entries; analyzing consolidated financial statements to ensure they are reasonable and in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual analytical reviews of FortisBC Holdings Inc. legal and consolidated financial statements to determine reasons for variances against budget and prior year. On a quarterly basis, prepares a detailed analysis of variances for senior management and the audit committee. May also be involved in the preparation of a variety of monthly and/or annual reports of capital and intangible additions, retirements, depreciation and net book values for FortisBC Holdings Inc. and its subsidiary companies.
- Participates in the preparation of annual and quarterly interim reports for shareholders and regulatory agencies by extracting data from consolidated financial statements and assembling into annual/quarterly format.
- Consolidates, reviews, and analyzes annual capital and operating budgets for the FortisBC Holdings Inc. group of companies.
- Responds to a variety of inquiries related to FortisBC Holdings Inc. operations, compiles information in response to special inquiries from management and external bodies such as the BCUC, external auditors and government agencies.
- Prepares Statement of Changes in Cash Flow (monthly, quarterly and annually), monthly FortisBC Holdings Inc. and Utility current year forecasts, FortisBC Holdings Inc. and Utility non-consolidated Financial Statements, and FortisBC Holdings Inc. non-regulated subsidiaries financial statements (monthly, quarterly and annually).
- Prepares various pro-forma financial ratios for prospectus and other security-filing documents at the request of Senior Management.
- Prepares a number of month-end journal entries, including (but not limited to) routine income-tax entries, and interest swap calculations.
- Develops and produces financial projections and forecasts used in the monthly financial review package.
- Reviews FortisBC Holdings Inc. legal accounting records on a monthly basis and ensures account analysis is correct.
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job.
- Completion of a recognized professional accounting designation or equivalent (CGA/CMA/CA).
- Five (5) years of financial accounting experience including financial statement consolidation, preparation and financial analysis involving financial computer modelling, and high level corporate accounting consulting advice for a large public organization.
- Demonstrated well developed communication and interpersonal skills to discuss ideas, present changes in methodology and respond to management enquiries on financial reports.
- Sound analytical, organizational, written and verbal communication skills including the ability to organize and prepare a variety of reports, summaries, procedural documents and policy statements.
- Sound knowledge of computer systems operations, including mainframe and PC database structures and protocols. Advanced knowledge of accounting and spreadsheet software, and working knowledge of FortisBC Holdings Inc. and subsidiaries standard software in use in the department.
- Courteous professional manner