Are you interested in this job opening? Are you the perfect fit for our organization? Click on Apply now! and we will walk you through our online application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please share this opportunity.
Return to FortisBC homepage
||Distribution Apprentice (DA)
||Full Time Regular
|# of Positions Available
||Our success relies on having highly skilled field operators, so we have developed an apprenticeship program that's one of the best in the industry. We are currently looking for a Distribution Apprentices in Victoria, BC. The anticipated start date for this position is late April 2013.
The Distribution Apprentice will learn to use the tools and procedures required for the construction, maintenance and operation of the Gas Distribution system. You will assist in the installation of distribution pipes, fittings and related components and in carrying out repairs and alterations to existing mains and services.
You will learn welding and pipefitting skills, and will also be trained in safety, customer service and software applications. You will receive hands-on experience and coaching through classroom and on-the-job training to prepare you for advancement.
The Distribution Apprentice will be trained in all aspects of emergency response.
All positions carry competitive compensation and benefits that include regular paid vacation, medical, dental, extended health, group life insurance, pension plan and optional group RRSP.
||1. High school/Grade 12 graduation/GED
2. Valid BC driver’s license with safe driving record – minimum Class 5 required. Class 1 or 3 with air endorsement preferred
3. Underground utilities experience (gas, water, sewer) is an asset
4. Mechanical aptitude
5. Demonstrated safe work habits and adherence to safety regulations and practices on a sustained basis
7. Sense of responsibility
8. Ability to become proficient in the use of power operated and hand tools, equipment and instruments
9. Ability to learn simple pipefitting, small meter setting and residential appliance relight setting
10. General good health, adequate physical strength and agility
11. Ability to meet the public as a representative of FortisBC
12. Ability to absorb, follow and retain instructions relating to function
13. Ability to acquire a thorough knowledge of theory and operation of material and equipment relating to Gas Operations
14. Ability to use and complete time slips, trucking slips, simple work and similar forms
||1. Considerable walking, bending and lifting
2. Exposure to all weather conditions
3. Current Gasfitter “B” license is an asset
4. Experience operating rubber tire backhoe excavating equipment in shallow construction is an asset.
5. The Distribution Apprentice Training Program (classroom portion) will take place at our Operations Centre in Surrey, BC.
**Note: this position is a progressional role. Start rate: $24.70 / 1-year rate $27.00 / 2-year rate $29.64 / 3-year rate $32.93
|HireDesk Job ID