Are you interested in this career opportunity? Click on Apply Now! and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
|Posting Closed Date
||Permanent - Full Time
|Summary of Duties
Reports to and carries out work under the direction of a designated Planning Manager. Carries out planning studies and research projects; processes a broad range of planning and program applications, undertakes data collection, maintenance and analysis, advises individuals and organized bodies on planning matters; provides evidence at hearings; represents the Planning Division before Committees and directs the work of others in the carrying out of these duties.
- Processes and evaluates Official Plan amendments, Zoning By-law amendments and/or subdivision and condominium applications and minor variance and consent applications for all types of land use. Applies planning principles and policies to ensure development conforms with the Official Plan. Develops implementation policies and prepares amendments to both the Official Plan and the Zoning By-law. Evaluates social, economic and environmental factors related to such proposals. Negotiates with and coordinates the input from developers or consultants and other departments, boards and commissions, provincial and federal agencies, and the general public on the details of planning and development proposals and amendments; prepares reports and recommendations pertaining to planning and development proposals and amendments.
- Undertakes and manages comprehensive studies and research projects relating to the immediate and long term planning of the development of land, facilities and services, including the study of demographic, socio-economic, physical and environmental factors.
- Processes applications for the City of London's downtown improvement programs. Reviews applications, prepares and signs letters of financial commitment for loans and grants. Ensures the City's position respecting funding is secured through the registration and discharge of liens. Responsible for projecting program activity in order to secure necessary funds through the City's budget process.
- Supplies planning information, provides advice on municipal planning principles and policies, and liaises with applicants, agents, lawyers, planning consultants, citizen groups, organized bodies, the general public, various government agencies and elected municipal officials, other municipal departments and agencies, the media and others.
- Facilitates, develops, prepares for and coordinates various public meetings and workshops.
- Provides the Managing Director, Planning and City Planner, Managers and other Planners, as required, with specific information and advice concerning planning matters.
- Attends meetings of Committees including, but not limited to, Planning and Environment Committee, Agricultural Advisory Committee, Civic Works Committee, the Strategic Priorities and Policy Committee, the Investment and Economic Prosperity Committee, the Committee of Adjustment, the Town and Gown Committee, the Urban Design Peer Review Panel and the Bicycle Advisory Committee.
- Attends meetings of ratepayer groups and other interest groups as required to seek input from and present reports on planning studies, projects and other matters, or to provide information and advice on planning matters.
- Responsible for the determination of and verification of municipal street names and numbers for use by the enhanced Bell 9-1-1 emergency call display, emergency service providers, the Building Division, and other utilities and agencies.
- Implements the boulevard parking program. Reviews and advises on regulations, processes applications and deals with public inquiries. Advises Parking Division with respect to property compliance to residential parking regulations. Resolves disputes relating to parking issues. Assists in local improvement programs concerning boulevard parking issues.
- Assembles, designs, edits and publishes Departmental web-site material consistent with Corporate policies and standards. Represents the Planning and Development Department on the Corporate Web Development Team and as a web author/publisher. Works with other web authors to design and integrate pages with cross-departmental material to ensure a consistent and seamless product. Undertakes corporate reviews of new applications, products or special projects associated with the world wide web, as required.
- Provides professional planning evidence before the Ontario Municipal Board, other Boards and Commissions and the Courts on planning matters.
- Assists with heritage planning from time to time, including the preparation of heritage alteration permits, heritage designation, and heritage grant applications.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
University Degree in Planning.
Eligibility for membership in OPPI.
||Three to four years' related experience.
|Specialized Training and Licenses
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
Valid Driver's Licence - Class G.
Demonstrated proficiency in wordprocessing, spreadsheets and various software.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
||$46,225 to $66,877
||PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR TRANSCRIPTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION (Under the Documents Section)
Please note successful candidates will be asked to provide a basic criminal record check, dated within the last six months. This documentation would not be required until further in the recruitment process (following the interview stage if selected).
The Corporation of the City of London strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community.
The City of London is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.