Are you interested in this career opportunity? Click on Apply Now! and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Environmental & Engineering/Solid Waste Operations
|Posting Closed Date
||Student - Recycling Animator
||Student - Summer
||CUPE Local 101
|Summary of Duties
||Under the direction of the City’s Co-ordinator, Waste Diversion, the Recycling Animator will be responsible for developing a program of community outreach with a goal to increase the quantity of Blue Box plastics that are recycled. The Recycling Animator will educate London residents about plastics recycling to engage and encourage residents to increase the quantity of plastics they recycle in London’s Blue Box Program. The Recycling Animator will communicate through discussion, acting, singing and dancing, with individuals and community organizations and groups. Will attend events dressed as Captain Plastic.
- Develops work plans for the term of the position of the Recycling Animator.
- Performs community outreach activities to target increased plastics recycling in apartment building lobbies, shopping malls, events, summer festivals, etc.
- Conducts door-to-door outreach activities in neighbourhoods
- Engages others in discussions about plastics recycling
- Distributes flyers/handouts to targeted neighbourhoods.
- Attends meetings (community, neighbourhood, workplace, etc.)
- Encourages participation from residents
- Provides leadership and hands-on involvement in community outreach activities
- Generate ideas for public outreach and identify best options for effective communication
- Must currently be enrolled full-time in a recognized College or University Theatre Arts/Performing Arts or University Media, Information & Technology (MIT), or similar program and intending to return to school full-time following his/her term of employment.
- Valid Driver’s License – G
- Creative, energetic, upbeat and charismatic
- Performance skills such as singing, acting and dancing
- Strong motivation to work with others to make a positive change in the community and ability to motivate and inspire others
- Highly developed communication and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated initiative, leadership and organizational skills
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong event planning and management skills
- Interested in public awareness and outreach
- Ability to engage and motivate residents to become involved in their community
- Ability to liaise with multiple stakeholders and project partners
- Abilities in working with diversity of people and groups
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and assume responsibility with minimal supervision
- Proficiency and experience using computer applications and software packages such as MS office
||$14.67 per hour
||This is a temporary, full-time summer position for up to 15 weeks.
Please upload your cover letter and transcripts with your application (under Documents Section) as well as two letters of reference. Note: The successful candidate will be required to provide the following documentation prior to being hired:
Basic Criminal Record Search (completed within 6 months of application date) : – please refer to the London Police website for information on obtaining this search Police Records Check
Documentation confirming the applicant is enrolled in a recognized Community College program OR enrolled full-time at a recognized Canadian University speciailizing in environmental engineering or science and returning to school full-time in September 2013.
The Corporation of the City of London strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community.
The City of London is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.