Are you interested in this career opportunity? Click on Apply Now! and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Neighbourhood, Children & Fire Services
|Posting Closed Date
||Manager I, Children's Services, Policy and Strategic Issues
||Temporary - Full Time
|Summary of Duties
||Reports to a Manager III, Neighbourhood, Children and Fire Services. Responsible for leading the development and implementation of strategic policy and program initiatives for the Children’s Services Business Unit. Works with internal and community based partners to achieve strategic and operational objectives. Manages functions to support these initiatives, including the development of implementation strategies, the collection and synthesis of background research and information, and the analysis of provincial policy and legislative changes. Responsible for the development of complex strategic planning and policy documents, implementation plans and reports on related policies, programs and projects.
- Analyzes, interprets, makes recommendations and develops policies and practices relating to complex legislation and political environments as they impact the operations of the Children’s Services Business Unit and in particular the Child and Youth Network and other community agencies and resources.
- Researches, develops, recommends and implements solutions to achieve short, medium and long term business plans and service objectives. Proactively seeks out innovative solutions to problems and issues.
- Provides input on program objectives, federal, provincial and municipal policy implications, and evaluation methodologies.
- Maintains strong internal and external stakeholder relationships. Facilitates and/or supports various internal and external committees and participates in community group meetings.
- Manages complex, multi-disciplinary projects from planning to completion. Manages multiple projects and initiatives at the same time.
- Communicates in multiple formats to a variety of audiences on program and policy issues and responds effectively to concerns and inquiries in a variety of settings.
- Directs staff in the undertaking of policy review, program evaluation, research and project design initiatives for the Division and its related community activities and recommends adjustments where appropriate. Supervises staff, assigns duties and works with the staff to obtain goals.
- Prepares Committee reports, briefing notes and other related documents to support the operation and special projects of Children’s Services and related units.
- Assists in the preparation and implementation of policies, procedures, guidelines, job aids and training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Undergraduate Degree in Social Sciences, Public Administration, Business or other related discipline. MPA or MBA (or working towards) an asset.
- Three to five years' related experience in community development and service delivery planning.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of and experience in policy development, including the ability to plan and lead policy-related assignments and projects.
|Specialized Training and Licenses
- Research and report writing
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point.
- Valid Driver's Licence - Class G.
- Strategic and Operational Policy Development and Implementation
- strategic thinking, operational planning
- ability to work in evolving, sometimes abstract policy areas
- diplomacy and tact, political acuity
- Project Management
- demonstrated ability to plan and lead multidisciplinary projects from start to finish
- demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects at the same time; ability to multi-task
- ability to organize and coordinate small and large group discussions and activities
- ability to establish and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- ability to communicate complex issues both in written and verbal formats
- ability to make complex issues simple to understand; to break complex issues into smaller more understandable segments
- ability to analyze and synthesize large amounts of information into comprehensible chunks
- ability to prepare and present public presentations
- ability to lead and/or facilitate small and large group discussions
- proven writing and editing skills - effective, concise writer in the various contexts of policy development, speech writing, technical papers, public relations, etc.
- strong understanding of social media and other forms of electronic communications and how they can be used to achieve communication goals and further strategic policy implementation
||$65,513 - $88,320
NOTE: THIS IS A TEMPORARY POSITION BEING FILLED ON A TEMPORARY BASIS FOR UP TO 2 YEARS
||PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR TRANSCRIPTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION (Under the Documents Section).
Please note successful candidates will be asked to provide a Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC), dated within the last six months. This documentation would not be required until further in the recruitment process (following the interview stage if selected).
The Corporation of the City of London strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community.
The City of London is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.