Are you interested in this career opportunity? Click on Apply Now! and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Dearness - Long Term Care
|Posting Closed Date
||Registered Practical Nurse
||Dearness - Service
|Summary of Duties
||As a qualified member of the interdisciplinary team, and under the direction of the Registered Nurse (RN), Assistant Director of Care, Director of Care, the RPN assumes responsibility for a Resident Home Area and the coordination of care for the assigned home area.
- Complete resident assessments on admission and readmission and quarterly using the organizations assessment tools. Monitor the condition of residents on the home area every shift and reporting changes in the resident’s health status to the Registered Nurse or Physician in accordance with professional standards.
B. Care Planning:
- Develop, modify and evaluate the resident’s plan of care.
- Ensure that care interventions as identified in the plan of care are carried out as specified.
- Maintain accountability, under the guidance of a Registered Nurse, for the nursing and personal care of residents within the scope of training and licensure.
- Supervise non-registered staff to ensure that appropriate Nursing interventions have been established & implemented in accordance with residents individualized care needs.
- Assume responsibility for receiving, documenting & transcribing telephone and written physicians orders as verified by the R.N. within the scope and training of licensure.
- Administer and document medication and treatments, within the limitations set by the College of Nurses.
- Seek the authorization of a Registered Nurse prior to the administration of PRN medication for any resident whose condition is unstable.
- Participate in the quarterly review process and ensure that changes are reflected in the plan of care and communicated to the resident/SDM and other members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Document according to established policies and procedures to comply with the levels of Care Classification criteria as well as MOHLTC and College of Nurses documentation standards.
D. Organization and Communication:
- Receive and give report at change of shift to PSW staff and to oncoming staff.
- Assume responsibility calling the Registered Nurse in any emergency situation or significant change in resident status.
- Participate in performance management by ensuring prompt reporting and documentation of unsafe work habits or working conditions to the R.N.
- Notify families of a significant change in a resident’s condition as identified in consultation with the Registered Nurse; and initiate contact with physician if required.
- Communicate effectively with residents, their families, staff and other members of the team.
- Participate in professional development through involvement in committees and inservice education.
- Replace staff as directed by the RN, ADOC or DOC.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Registered Practical Nursing Diploma.
- Current Certificate of Competency with the College of Nurses for the Province of Ontario.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a minimum of three years working experience as a Registered Practical Nurse, preferably in a long term care facility.
- Good interpersonal skills both verbal and written.
- Successful completion of the Drug Administration course.
- Clear Police Record.
- Current CPR certificate.
- Demonstrated leadership quality.
IF AVAILABLE, PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR TRANSCRIPTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION (Under the Documents Section).
Please note successful candidates will be asked to provide a The Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) dated within the last six months. This documentation would not be required until further in the recruitment process (following the interview stage if selected).
The Corporation of the City of London strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community.
The City of London is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.