Are you interested in this career opportunity? Click on Apply Now! and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Planning/Policy Planning & Programs
|Posting Closed Date
||Permanent - Full Time
||CUPE Local 101
|Summary of Duties
Reports to and carries out work under the direction of a Manager in Planning and Development. Undertakes and assists in carrying out planning studies and research projects; processes a variety of planning applications; carries out data collection and maintenance and analysis; provides planning information and advice to members of the public.
- Under the direction of a Manager in Planning and Development, processes applications for Official Plan amendments, Zoning By-law amendments and/or subdivision/condominium approval with such applications having a level of complexity that is appropriate for the experience level of the Planner; processes Official Plan and Zoning By-law refinement files; applies planning principles and policies to ensure development conforms with the Official Plan; prepares amendments to the Zoning By-law; evaluates social, economic and environmental factors related to such proposals; co-ordinates the input from developers or their consultants, other departments, boards and commissions, provincial and federal agencies; and the general public on the details of planning and development proposals and amendments; prepares reports and provides advice to Senior Planners, Planning Administrators and the Director of Planning pertaining to planning and development proposals and amendments.
- Conducts, or assists in the preparation of studies and projects relating to the immediate and long term planning of the development of land, facilities and services, including the study of demographic, socio economic, physical and environmental factors; solicits input from other departments, divisions, agencies and the public; participates in formulating recommendations on policies relating to planning and development, including those in the Official Plan.
- Supplies planning information and advice on planning principles and municipal policies, and liaises with applicants, agents, planning consultants, citizen groups, organized bodies, the general public, various government agencies, other municipal departments and agencies, and others.
- Undertakes data collection, database maintenance, and monitoring including data entry and disseminates information to other planning staff, municipal departments, agencies, elected officials, community organizations and the general public.
- Uses database, GIS and other available software, along with GIS analysis skills, to prepare reports, manipulate and analyse data, complete specific information requests, create and manage data bases and provide responses to special requests as required.
- Reviews and prepares comments related to sale of City property and street closings.
- Instructs and advises Planning Technicians and Planning students on matters related to assignments under his/her supervision.
- Provides Director of Planning, Planning Administrators, Senior Planners, Planners, Planning Technicians and Council, as required with specific information and knowledge concerning planning matters.
- Reviews and prepares comments on both variances and consent applications and represents the Division at the Committee of Adjustment.
- Attends meetings of Planning Committee, other Standing Committees, Advisory Committees, and citizen groups, as required, to seek input from and present reports on planning studies, projects and other matters, or to provide information and advice on planning matters.
- Gives professional planning evidence before the Ontario Municipal Board, other Boards and Commissions and the Courts on minor planning matters.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Honours Undergraduate degree in Planning.
Eligibility for membership in OPPI.
||Two to three years' related experience.
|Specialized Training and Licenses
Valid Driver's Licence - Class G
Demonstrated proficiency in wordprocessing, spreadsheets and various software.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR TRANSCRIPTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION (Under the Documents Section).
Please note successful candidates will be asked to provide a basic criminal record check, dated within the last six months. This documentation would not be required until further in the recruitment process (following the interview stage if selected).
The Corporation of the City of London strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community.
The City of London is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.