Are you interested in this career opportunity? Click on Apply Now! and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
|Posting Closed Date
||Student - Urban Forestry
||CUPE Local 101
|Summary of Duties
||This position will support primarily the Woodland Management and planning functions of the Urban Forestry Section. The Urban Forestry Section is responsible for the overall planning and oversight relating to the management of the woodlands and public trees across the City. This position will report to the Manager, Urban Forestry and take direction from the Urban Forestry Planner and Forestry Technologist depending on the nature of the work being performed. This position includes both office and field duties.
- Develop or prepare instructional material and coordinate public information relating to the management of Asian Long Horned Beetle.
- Assist with the review and revision of local tree protection practices on municipal and private development projects that affect city-owned trees.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of Urban Forestry Projects.
- Review of best management and other municipalities’ practices and assist with the development of local tree protection standards and guidelines.
- Develop an options report dealing with the pros and cons of the City entering into long term tree growing contracts or developing its own tree nursery.
- Other duties as assigned to fulfill our mandate which may include but are not limited to:
- research related to best practices and policy approaches being undertaken by other cities which could be considered in the development and implementation of the urban forest strategy;
- assist staff with tree by-law revisions;
- assist staff with writing technical and Council-directed reports;
- assist staff with web page writing and updating;
- assist staff in the establishment of a consistent filing system for the Urban forestry Section.
- Other field and office duties may be assigned based on individual qualifications, experience, skills, training and interest.
- Must currently be enrolled full-time in a Undergraduate Degree or Masters Program in Forestry at a recognized college or university and intend to return to school full-time following his/her term of employment. It is preferred that the Student will be entering their final year of studies in September 2014.
- Previous experience working with a municipality or another level of government.
- Thorough knowledge of tree species and identification.
- Knowledge of general construction practices with the ability to read and understand construction drawings and specifications.
- Familiarity with data base, spreadsheet and word processing.
- Ability to work independently.
- Valid driver’s license and use of a car would be an asset.
||$14.95 per hour
||This is a full-time, temporary position from May to August 2014.
Please upload your transcripts with your application (under Documents Section) as well as two letters of reference.
Note: The successful candidate will be required to provide the following documentation prior to being hired:
- Police Information Check (completed within 6 months of application date) – please refer to the London Police website for information on obtaining this search: Police Records Check
- Documentation confirming the student's intent to return to school full-time in September 2014.
This documentation would not be required until further in the recruitment process (following the interview stage if selected).
The Corporation of the City of London strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community.
The City of London is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.