Are you interested in this career opportunity? Click on Apply Now! and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
|Posting Closed Date
||Urban Design Technician
||Permanent - Full Time
||CUPE Local 101
|Summary of Duties
Reports to, and carries out work under, the direction of a designated Planning Manager or Urban Designer. Undertakes and assists in the preparation of urban design studies and analyses, research projects, master plans, concept plans, guideline documents and urban design briefs. Develops illustrative urban design drawings to assist Planners, Urban Designers, the Public, and applicants through the development review process. Reviews and analyzes development proposals, including but not limited to site plans, concept plans, and urban design briefs, from an urban design perspective and provides comments and recommendations thereon. Makes presentations, where necessary, to various groups including the Urban Design Peer Review Panel, advisory committees, and the Public.
- Works closely with the City’s Urban Designer(s) to complete the City’s Urban Design Work Program.
- Using various drawing and graphic techniques, prepares designs, or redesign, of buildings, landscapes, open spaces, subdivision patterns and other land use plans and development concepts that are typically addressed through the City’s Department of Planning and Development.
- Prepares graphic illustrations and analyses relating to design submissions and planning applications.
- Participates in team projects that involve one or more urban design or planning issues.
- Researches, develops and recommends urban design policies, implementation tools, guidelines and design programs to the City’s Urban Designer(s), Planners and Planning Managers. Prepares written design analyses.
- Prepares design character statements, design briefs, design evaluation documents and other reports relating to design review and recommendations.
- Reviews and provides urban design input and advice to City Planners and the City’s Urban Designer(s) relating to site plans, variances, zoning amendments, Official Plan amendments, plans of subdivision, area plans, master plans and other development applications related to design matters.
- Assists in the planning and execution of various urban design initiatives, such as the Urban Design Awards ceremony, educational events, etc.
- Designs, updates and maintains the Planning Division’s web site, or portions thereof.
- Works with Urban Designers and Planners to identify, analyze and resolve urban design issues.
- Works with staff from other City of London Departments on municipal urban design matters.
- Undertakes primary and secondary research on planning and design related issues.
- Prepares and delivers presentations to various groups, including Staff, members of the Public, advisory committees, the Urban Design Peer Review Panel, etc.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Undergraduate degree in Urban Design or a related field that includes a core of urban design course work or educational equivalent.
Over two years of directly related experience.
|Specialized Training and Licenses
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
- Strong understanding of urban design principles and ability to communicate same.
- Demonstrated proficiency in urban design related software, such as: Sketchup, Autocad and, Adobe.
- Creative Suite (Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and GIS software.
- Excellent hand and computer graphic illustration skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read site plan, architectural, engineering and survey plans/drawings.
||$43,607 to $62,236 (Level 11)
PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR TRANSCRIPTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION (Under the Documents Section).
Please note successful candidates will be asked to provide a Police Information Check (PIC), dated within the last six months. This documentation would not be required until further in the recruitment process (following the interview stage if selected).
||NOTE: Applicants may be required to complete a job related test.
The Corporation of the City of London strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community.
The City of London is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.