Are you interested in this career opportunity? Click on Apply Now! and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Housing, Social Services & Dearness Home
|Posting Closed Date
||Intern - Housing, Social Services & Dearness Home
||CUPE Local 101
|Summary of Duties
- Conduct a technical review of existing building condition assessments and validation for designated portfolio properties and to revise the information contained in London’s asset management capital planning software to reflect actual site conditions.
- Generate capital reserve fund forecasts for specific housing properties based on detailed review of the existing conditions of the various building components and building systems and provide professional opinion of what corrective work is recommended within the next 25 years, recommended timing for remediation, and a preliminary cost estimate;
- Explore solutions in consultation with other Municipal Service Areas and staff to optimize the expenditure of capital funds, determine priorities, and assess risk, including the evaluation and implementation of an integrated asset management approach to operating the City’s social housing portfolio.
- Minimum of Post Secondary education in a related subject area (Engineering, Real Estate)
- Understanding of legislation relating to social housing (Ontario Building Code, Residential Tenancies Act and Housing Reform Act)
- Understanding of technical issues, including preventative maintenance, capital planning, property inspections and documentation, faced by Housing Providers
- Experience in property management, including the inspection of multi-residential buildings combined with supervision of projects relating to development/capital repair or replacement.
- Project Management skills
- Stakeholder engagement
- Technical assessment and priority setting
- Report writing
- Political acumen
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to speak/communication in other languages would be an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and other asset management tools and systems
Eligibility under the City of London Internship Program as follows (see below):
MUST MEET CRITERIA AS EITHER A NEW IMMIGRANT OR PERSON WITH SELF-DECLARED DISABILITY WHICH POSES EMPLOYMENT BARRIERS OR RECENT LOCAL POST SECONDARY GRADUATE.
- New to Canada within the past 3 years, and
- Graduate of a recognized post-secondary education institute with Canadian equivalency, and
- English benchmark level 6 or above, and
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
Person with self-declared disability which poses employment barriers:
- Limited work experience in their chosen field, and
- Graduate of a recognized post-secondary education institute
Recent local post-secondary graduate:
- London resident who has graduated from a recognized post-secondary education institute within the past year and has limited work experience in their chosen field, OR
- Graduate of a London area recognized post-secondary education institute within the past year, but not currently living in London
- Limited work experience in their chosen field.
||$14.67 per hour
||Term is for Fall 2014
||Please upload your transcripts (Under the Documents Section).
Please note successful candidates will be asked to provide a basic criminal record check, dated within the last six months. This documentation would not be required until further in the recruitment process (following the interview stage if selected).
The Corporation of the City of London strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community.
The City of London is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.