|Summary of Duties
We will be conducting a screening and testing process to develop a Talent Pool to fill staffing requirements for the Probationary Firefighter for the London Fire Department as they occur over the next year (approximately).
As an energetic member of a performance-driven community service team your duties will include, but not be limited to, firefighting, vehicle extrication, rescues, pre-hospital emergency medical care, as well as fire prevention and public education activities. Successful candidates are also required to participate on one of the department’s special teams: Ice and Water Rescue, Hazardous Materials, and Technical Rescue (rope rescue, confined space, and trench rescue).
THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Candidates must apply online and provide their resume, as well as attach all of the required documents to their online application.
To upload additional documents, candidates need to log back in, click 'update profile', then 'update your profile' and choose 'documents' from the list presented. From there, candidates are able to upload any documents they feel are relevant to their job application. Please name files with a description of the documents content.
If selected for an interview, candidates must present all original certificates of the scanned submissions to substantiate their qualifications.
WHAT YOU NEED TO INCLUDE WITH YOUR APPLICATION
The following outlines the MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS required in order to apply to the Probationary Firefighter positions with the London Fire Department
- Successful completion of Grade 12 education in the Province of Ontario or equivalent
- Fire Fighting Training
- Successful completion of at least one (1) of the following three (3) options is all that will be accepted
- Option 1
- Option 2
- Option 3
- Ontario Firefighter Curriculum Certificate of Achievement (Modules 1, 2, & 3)
- Valid CPR and First Aid Certificates
- Valid unrestricted Ontario class D driver's license with Z endorsement including an original copy of a recent driver's abstract
CRIMINAL POLICE CHECK
- Provide a current, original Criminal Police Check with Vulnerable Position Screening (Police Check must be within three months and is to be obtained from your local police department) or receipt supporting your request. If you require a signed document for a police records check, please call 519-661-2500 ex. 5837.
- Provide a copy of an original, valid certification of successful completion of:
- York University Firefighting Physical Fitness Test, noting that only tests taken in March 2012 or after shall be considered valid. To maintain eligibility within the talent pool, applicants will be required to maintain a current (within 6 months) and valid York University fitness test.
NEED A YORK FITNESS TEST?
If you do not have a valid certification of the York University Firefighting Physical Fitness Test, you can schedule an appointment by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. The City of London has arranged Saturday September 29th and Sunday September 30th as dates that York University will hold for applicants of the London recruitment. In the links below, you will find further information provided by York University Fire Fighting Physical Fitness that you may find useful and of assistance to you in making your appointments.
Additional information regarding York University Firefighting Physical Fitness Test:Firefighter Fitness Testing Information, Keel Campus Map and Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR_Q)
Applications will be reviewed based on submissions, including successful completion of York Physical Fitness Test. These submissions will be accepted until October 5th, 2012. The City of London will then contact successful candidates by email to write the CPS-Entry Firefighter (Cooperative Personnel Services Test). Testing will be held on October 26th at 12:30 pm in London at the Lambeth Community Centre. No additional testing dates will be provided.
Only candidates contacted by email are invited to attend the testing. Details for those candidates are as follows:
- Registration commences at 12:30 pm
- CPS testing will commence at 2:00 pm until approximately 4:00 pm
- Testing will be held at the Lambeth Community Centre, 7112 Beattie Street West, London.
- Candidates MUST bring photo ID to register or they will not be permitted to write the test.
- Candidates must bring pencils and an eraser to write the test.
- Candidates will be required to pay a $155 non refundable fee (Cash - exact amount or money order payable to the City Treasurer)
||The starting salary for this position is $52,526
What Do I Need To Include With My Application?
DUE TO THE EXPECTED HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, REGRETABLY WE ARE NOT ABLE TO RESPOND TO TELEPHONE CALLS OR EMAILS AND CANNOT GIVE FEEDBACK ON APPLICATIONS OR INTERVIEWS