Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
||Administrative Supervisor, Agriculture Department
WORKING CONDITIONS: Part-time Contract
Part-time hours: March – May & September 2018
Full-time hours: June – August 2018
DATE POSTED: January 16, 2018
The PNE Agriculture Department operates a 5 day 4-H Festival, 15 day Farm Country pavilion and a 12 day competitive horse show. Reporting to the Manager of Agriculture, the Assistant Manager of Agriculture is responsible overseeing the planning and implementation of the 4-H Festival, managing contracts for the Farm Country and Agrodome, hiring, training and developing department staff along with assisting in other events within the PNE Agriculture Department. This position draws on both administrative skills and event-based management skills.
We are seeking an adaptable and guest service-focused individual that has a passion for Agriculture, the Farm Country Program and the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE.) Our ideal candidate will have a sound knowledge of agriculture and strong understanding of livestock breeds & techniques.
They will work in compliance with all health and safety requirements as determined by WorkSafeBC, and all other applicable legislation and company policies.
- Assists with the management of the Fair’s 4-H Festival, Discovery Farm, Farm Country exhibits and Agrodome programming. Delivers programs and manages resources within a predetermined budget.
- Hires, trains and develops department staff. Provides administrative support with relation to hiring paperwork, creating staff work schedules, working with crew supervisors to manage staff levels and provide discipline during the Fair as well as ensuring payroll duties are met as required.
- Oversees the planning and implementation of the 4-H Festival including but not limited to; creating show schedules, producing the prizebook, contacting judges and sponsors, overseeing data entry office, ensuring required supplies and services are in place for all events and working with a volunteer 4-H committee and the 4-H Coordinator to ensure timely production of all 4-H events during the Fair.
- Assists the manager of Agriculture with planning and administering the BC Youth in Agriculture Foundation’s annual charity auction.
- Oversees and manages contracts for the Farm Country and Agrodome shows as well as coordinates travel and accommodation for judges as required.
- Provides general advice and guidance to the Fair Planning Committee and PNE staff.
- Establishes contacts and maintains liaison with the agriculture community; including 4-H Clubs, Agriculture Exhibitors, Sponsors, and Advisory groups.
- Provides input into the annual planning and future direction of agricultural programs and shows, as well as maintains an up-to-date awareness of developments, interests and trends in agriculture, horticulture and the environment, particularly with respect to the production of Farm Country.
- Assists the Manager of Agriculture in the preparation of annual revenue projections, recommends budgets and forecasts of resources required to achieve objectives.
- Perform other related duties/responsibilities as assigned
- University degree in a relevant discipline and considerable program and show production experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Advanced knowledge of agricultural and horticultural matters, including livestock management procedures and related legislation and regulations.
- Advanced knowledge of fair, exhibition and related entertainment industries.
- Knowledge of applicable collective agreement provisions.
- Strong planning, organizational, analytical and administrative skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to analyze requirements and develop appropriate strategies and solutions to meet show and event needs.
- Ability to foster effective working relationships with internal and external contacts including special interest groups and animal rights organizations.
- Ability to function independently and under pressure; ability to work extended hours during peak times.
Successful candidates must undergo a criminal record check.
Applications can submitted via the PNE website at www.pne.ca/jobs
and will be accepted until the role is filled.
Preference will be given to candidates who submit their resume/cover letter before Sunday March 11th, 2018. We look forward to hearing from you!