Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
||Recruitment & Admissions
|Job Type :
||Full-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
||Manager, Waterloo Recruitment
|Position Summary :
||Wilfrid Laurier University currently registers approximately 12,800 full-time and 1,700 part-time undergraduate students on two campuses. The undergraduate applicant profile is one of the finest in the country, as the average entering grade in 2010 was 82%. Government, financial and market pressures, however, make the attraction and registration of top-quality applicants increasingly more difficult. Laurier’s focus on International recruitment will also play a role in our student makeup going forward. In order to fulfill ongoing enrolment objectives by campus, faculty and discipline, the university must clearly identify its desirable undergraduate class profile, using both historical and current enrolment levels by program and entering grade average. The recruitment officer makes the first contact with prospective applicants and then carries that relationship through the application and confirmation process. In this way, the recruitment and admissions office maintains a vital strategic link between prospective students and the Laurier community.
The recruitment officer performs a variety of tasks relating specifically to student recruitment and admission. This involves participation in a 6-week training period, approximately 8 weeks of extensive travel within Ontario, with the remainder of the cycle spent stewarding applicants through the admissions and confirmation process and continuing with our recruitment and conversion activities.
The incumbent corresponds with diplomacy and tact, with staff and management at both campuses and with institutional partners including Admissions, Recruitment, Student Awards, Student Services, Laurier International, Distance Education, Nipissing University, Mohawk and Conestoga Colleges, and other areas as needed.
||Participation in Extensive Training Program
• Attends information meetings with the directors and chairs of all university departments and services in order to develop extensive knowledge base of the university and admissions policies.
• Participating in a 6-week intensive public speaking training with both individual and video-tape critiques.
• Study and presentation practice is expected on evenings and weekends to meet demanding training deadlines.
• Responsible for communicating key points and addressing each student interest within a 40-minute presentation.
Implementation of Visit Plan and Recruitment/Conversion Activities
• Co-ordinates timetable of all high school and college visits
• Arranges for travel and lodging
• Plans and attends additional off-campus visits throughout the winter and spring
• Travels extensively independently and with the provincial University Information Program, speaking to groups of prospective students, their parents and school administrators
• Participates in the annual Ontario Universities Fair in Toronto
• Participates in spring and fall Open Houses on all campuses
• Assists with the planning and implementation of additional on campus recruitment events throughout the year, such as Specialist High Skill Major visits, Stock Market competition, Guidance Counsellor professional development workshops
Supports Applicants through the Confirmation Process
• Provides exceptional service to applicants via email and phone to ensure information needed to make key decisions is provided promptly and with a personal touch
• Responsible for accurately interpreting and applying the appropriate regulations and policies to the cases presented by students in order to offer them information concerning their situation and advise them of the actions that are appropriate in response to their situations
• Participates in social media related correspondence with prospective and confirmed students
• Submits weekly visit statistics and travel expenses
• Assists with bulk mailings
• Assists with managing applicant files
• Other duties as assigned
||• University degree and graduated within the last 2 years, preferably from Wilfrid Laurier University, plus one year of relevant experience
• Knowledge of university programs
• Willing to share recent personal university experience within established presentation
• Demonstrated skill/ability in the following areas:
o Written communication skills
o Dealing courteously and effectively with people
o Exercising good judgement and initiative
o Answering inquiries in a clear and concise manner
• Experience with public speaking and making effective presentations
• Effective interpersonal and public relations skills
• Ability to work independently and set priorities
• Excellent organizational skills
• Valid “G” driver’s license with proven good driving record
• Ability to work evenings and weekends
• Ability to be away from home for extended period of time
||$28.76 - 33.83
|Salary Notes :
||This is a full-time, limited term position for the duration of 12 months.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.