Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Date Posting Closes - External
||Co-ordinator, Web & Technology (Athletics)
||Athletics & Recreation
||Associate Director, Business Operations
||The Coordinator, Web & Technology reports to the Associate Director, Business Operations and will support the department of Athletics and Recreation with its various technologies by taking a lead with the website and all other software & systems the department utilizes to operate effectively.
The job is responsible for the new technologies including day-to-day management of the Golden Hawk website, databases and computer systems. This includes programming changes to functionality, developing standard, custom and ad-hoc reports, and researching and implementing emerging technology that assist the department in maintaining itself as a National leader. The department relies heavily on both custom and off-the-shelf software technologies for its day-to-day operations. The Golden Hawk website is a custom built solution which integrates with payment systems, Banner as well as OneCard in order to operationally serve the department.
Athletics & Recreation currently maintains its own custom databases that contain the website content, ecommerce sales data, varsity ticketing sales, facility membership information, facility booking & invoicing information, historical varsity statistics, historical player and team profiles as well as varsity event information. This position will be responsible for maintaining this data as well as reporting on it. Some of these reports are required by the leagues (CIS, OUA) for statistical leaders and other informational queries.
The incumbent is responsible for first level technical support within Athletics & Recreation for non-ITS supported devices and works cooperatively with ITS in servicing all the departments’ computers in a timely fashion.
In addition the incumbent will work with the Coordinator, Communications in order to assist with updating the website, statistical software and ongoing tracking and archiving of data. Well-developed judgment and decision making skills will be employed in ensuring that all web-based materials are produced well and are professional and accurate.
Actual hours of work has seasonal variations which can involve evenings and weekends for game coverage. There are frequent interruptions, requiring flexibility and the ability to multitask.
• Maintains varsity statistical software to be used with most sports (Statcrew for basketball, volleyball, football – Leaguestat for hockey);
• Responsible for statistical tracking, reporting, audits and archives.
• Assists in the technological development and execution of department major events including Hall of Fame, Athletic Banquet and fundraising events which includes but is not limited to custom presentations and video silent auction software.
Web Site Programming and Coordination
• Creates new functionality by programming features and functions while also maintaining and debugging the Athletics and Recreation Department website and ensures the accuracy of information in areas including:
o Posting of Interuniversity Data (Rosters, Scores, Highlights, etc.)
o Posting of Recreational Information (Schedules, Leagues)
o Schedules/Standings & Additional functionality of Intramural system
o Look and Feel of Website (Design and Look and Feel)
o Functionality and Operational Systems (Bookings, eCommerce, Memberships)
• Troubleshoot and resolve functionality of the operational web systems to make sure they are performing appropriately;
• Creates functionality and maintains eCommerce payment system for Bookings & Billing systems (systems accounting for over $1,000,000 annually);
• Assists with custom reporting for facilities, recreation, ticket sales and sponsorships.
• Maintains user and administrator accounts for all departmental systems (including for over 100 part time student staff).
• Maintains and produces backups of databases for all systems.
• Provides first level technical support for Athletics & Recreational staff
• Assists Associate Director, Business Operations with SmartVendor Point of Sale system for customer service desks at University Stadium and Athletic Complex;
• Develops web streaming, pod-casting and promotional videos of varsity and instructional events, this includes preparation of training materials;
• Acts as liaison with Athletic software vendors in order to manage service contracts and potential upgrades;
• Ensures systems are in compliance with any legislation and/or regulations.
• Works with ITS to maintains and produce backups of databases of all systems.
• Responsible for data management and reporting for various systems including but not limited to e-Commerce and ticketing.
• Works with the Associate Director, Business Operations to develop a work schedule to address service and development priorities;
• Provides support for new technologies such as digital imaging, audio/video, streaming etc.;
• Remains current in knowledge of IT technology trends, resources, software, hardware and shares this information with the Department;
• Collaborates and works with Information Technology Services to maintain departmental assets;
• Collaborates with OneCard office in the support of various services provided by that office;
||• College diploma in Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering or a related field plus two (2) years work related experience;
• Requires a thorough understanding of the market driven sports (including rules and statistics) that the institution participates in (Football, Basketball, Hockey and Soccer);
• Experience with physical education and competitive and recreation athletic programs is an asset;
• Advanced knowledge and experience with MySQL and Access database programs required;
• Knowledge and experience in computer productivity applications (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator; Microsoft Office);
• Experience creating training materials, documentation and providing training;
• Ability to deliver high quality work in an environment of overlapping time-sensitive tasks;
• Ability to communicate and interact effectively with users with varying levels of technical expertise;
• Ability to function and collaborate effectively with coaches and staff in the high demand environment;
• Strong organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail, good problem solving skills, ability to handle multiple priorities and meet short deadlines;
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team;
• A professional approach and positive attitude with a willingness to learn new technologies;
• Ability to be discreet and to maintain confidential information.
||$31.03 - $36.51
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.