Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
|Date Posting Closes - External
||Transcription and Assistive Technologies Administrator
||Accessible Learning Centre
||Manager Accessible Learning
||Reporting to the Manager of Accessible Learning, the Transcription and Technology Administrator will have the responsibility for the provision of several key functions within the Accessible Learning Centre. The incumbent will ensure alternate format production of course materials and exams (e.g. digital) for students registered with Accessible Learning. The incumbent will also review technology requirements and make recommendations for appropriate technology purchases to support students, and to maximize learning. This position is responsible for the management of all assistive technology equipment (hardware and software) used by students. This position supports several administrative functions (such as bursary tracking and reconciliation, maintenance of statistics and reception) for the Accessible Learning Centre.
In the execution of this responsibility, the incumbent will maintain close communication with all Accessible Learning Centre staff, faculty and staff of the university.
- Organize and process all transcription/alternate format requests from students. Maintain a tracking system of all orders received and placed with publishers; follows up with publishers as required. Ensures materials are prepared in house if unable to access through publisher connections.
- Ensure legal obligations that respect copyright access are fulfilled prior to release of materials to students.
- Coordinate, with exam staff, any formatting requirements in preparation for examinations written with the Accessible Learning Centre.
- Make recommendations for student assistive technology purchase based on academic accommodation plan. Offer as needed training and problem solving support for effective equipment use.
- Acts as a front line to student inquiries to the Centre and facilitates referrals to Intake within the Accessible Learning Centre.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of current hardware and software programs designed for individuals with disabilities.
- Track and evaluate student use of assistive devices through the central accommodation plan process. Ensure any updates are recorded on the plan for review by the Disability Consultant.
- Maintain an inventory of all adaptive equipment available for student loan and ensure an effective tracking system.
- Maintain monthly utilization statistics of program areas within the ALC.
- Process and file Bursary for Students with Disabilities applications and receipts, liase with Student Awards as required.
- Participates in staff meetings, strategic planning and development opportunities.
- This position requires static work hours with some flexibility (during peak times), to support the needs of the Centre.
||• Preference given to candidates with completed post secondary college diploma/university degree
• Experience working in post secondary an asset
• Demonstrated knowledge of assistive devices and related operational trouble shooting skills
• Demonstrated proficiency with a variety of accessible computer based technology, software and applications for people with disabilities
• Commitment to maintaining expertise in new hardware and software as it evolves
• Demonstrated ability to adapt technology to individual student strengths and needs
• Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal communication skills and responsiveness
• Demonstrated understanding of disability issues, the Accessibility with Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005, and the Human Rights Code
• Ability to respond with effective time management, organization and problem solving skills in a fast paced environment
• Demonstrated excellence in customer service
• Capacity for team work, responsibility and confidentiality in a professional office as well as the ability to work independently
||$26.23 - $29.33/ hr
||This is a part time position working 17.5 hours per week Monday to Friday 12:30-4:00.
Please upload a resume and cover letter.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.