Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Date Posting Closes - External
||SBE Director of Marketing & Communications
||School of Business & Economics
||Laurier’s School of Business & Economics (SBE) marketing and communications department directs the strategic branding of the School and determines the related media used to ensures consistent message delivery throughout the organization and to key stakeholders. The Director is responsible for promoting the School (both Programs and Research) and building relationships that align with the School’s strategy.
The incumbent is responsible for developing the strategic direction and leading the execution of key marketing communications programs and initiatives primarily concerned with demand generation, alumni engagement and product positioning such as alumni engagement sessions, and community-based thought-leadership events with the ultimate goal of raising the profile of the School. This position has direct responsibility for the appointment and supervision of the SBE Event Coordinator, as well as supervision of students, or cross-functional teams (as required). This position also has secondary responsibility for staff involved in the marketing of any SBE related programs. Working with the marketing team, and the central Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing office, the Director is responsible for ensuring consistent marketing messaging and using innovative promotions to ensure all events receive positive media coverage to increase brand and event awareness. The incumbent will be responsible for the overhaul and maintenance of the SBE website in accordance with the guidelines, standards and processes governing Laurier’s institutional web presence. The incumbent is responsible for the management of the SBE marketing budget.
The incumbent works independently, exercising judgment and discretion in the organization and the performance of duties. This position has responsibility for marketing direction at all levels (undergraduate and graduate) within SBE and actively seeks new opportunities to build relationships with externally interested parties through the establishment of additional programs and services. The incumbent is required to be knowledgeable about SBE academic programs at the undergraduate, MBA and graduate levels. This position calls for a combination of strong management and marketing experience, research knowledge (specifically the ability to communicate research to the broader community), database development understanding, event management skills, web development skills and outstanding networking abilities. The incumbent must have the ability to deal with a wide range of stakeholders both internally and externally to the School. The incumbent must have the ability to handle numerous projects simultaneously, and must possess excellent organizational skills. Success will be measured by the raised awareness and profile of the school and its programs; creation and conversion of sales leads; and by the impact and improvement of all SBE events and networking functions.
The incumbent represents and promotes Laurier SBE programs and services throughout the Laurier community and beyond. The incumbent will be the Laurier SBE representative with organizations such as the Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce, CMA, Youth in Motion and other agencies that promote and support SBE programs and services at post-secondary educational institutions.
||• Initiates, develops and implements a marketing and communication strategic plan for the School, for both internal (SBE/Laurier) and external (alumni/industry/media) audiences, consistent with SBE’s and Laurier’s mission and strategies, which will establish promotion of the School’s corporate image (i.e., publications, website, special events, new releases, ads)
• Directs the development and execution of integrated marketing communications strategies associated with events and sponsorship both Waterloo and Toronto based. Event examples include: undergrad recruiting events such as Laurier Day and High Flyer luncheon, Convocation, MBA Alumni Awards, Laurier Outstanding Business Leader Award, and SBE Orientation Day, etc…
• Initiates and develops a strategic branding plan which adheres to the overall institutional branding guidelines and promotes a similar customer experience at all touch points for all promotional publications produced by the School, in consultation with the Dean.
• Collaborates with faculty to promote research and facilitate knowledge mobilization.
• Collaborates with the Director, Development, SBE on initiatives to support the university’s efforts in establishing a reputation with various levels within the external corporate hierarchy (i.e. special events targeting senior corporate executives, VPs, HR managers)
• Monitors application status throughout the year and adjusts brand strategy as necessary to ensure the calibre and quantity of incoming student numbers are in balance according to the agreements.
• Seeks media opportunities and builds relationships with media partners, adhering to institutional media processes and guidelines.
• Drafts news releases and works with Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing for distribution, as per approved institutional media processes.
• Leads the competitive strategy for SBE marketing programs. Collects and makes available to the university community statistics on competing programs.
• Develops the pre-departure and re-entry event programs for graduating undergraduate and MBA students to ensure contact with future alumni.
• Designs and directs the ‘SBE Student Experience’ program which is designed to evaluate the student experience within SBE.
• Manages the implementation of a new leads database for the SBE marketing program. Use database to develop an email communications strategy for SBE and its students.
• Develops, leads and executes MBA program event-based campaigns such as the MBA Alumni Awards and key recruiting sessions.
• Responsible for the assessment of the current SBE website and execution of a new website within the context of the institutional web review.
• Manages and maintains the SBE website on an ongoing basis to promote undergraduate and graduate programs both on and off campus.
• Responsible for SBE TV.
• Manages all internal communications programs for SBE including the monthly What’s On e-newsletter.
• Creates the content for the SBE Alumni e-newsletter and works with WLU Alumni Relations in its execution a minimum of 4 times per year.
• Manages approved budgets and ensures the department operates within allocated budgets, and ongoing operational needs. Work with development to find alternate sources of funding for various SBE activities.
• Responsible for the direct supervision of the SBE Event Coordinator, and additional contract positions hired throughout the year.
• Arranges for colleagues from partner institutions to make presentations and meet with students and faculty when they visit Wilfrid Laurier University.
||• Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or Business; MBA preferred, or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in communications or marketing within a research, educational, or research-funding environment.
• Demonstrated strategic experience and success in developing and managing successful marketing campaigns.
• Proven excellence in written and oral communication in a variety of media
• Excellent interpersonal skills and propensity to work with a variety of audiences both internal and external to the University (e.g., faculty, staff, students, volunteers, alumni, businesses, professional associations) with competing demands.
• Demonstrated ability to create and foster long term business relationships.
• Must be a strategic thinker and have strong decision making skills.
• Experience with Laurier Alumni an asset.
• Possess well-developed relationship-building skills and the proven ability to supervise staff.
• Experience in student mentoring, supervision and group facilitation skills
• Possess a thorough understanding of marketing communications and its roles in attracting and recruiting potential candidates.
• Superior time management and organizational skills, the ability to work independently, collaboratively and flexible hours
• A high level of personal and professional commitment
||$89 596.00-$100 136.00
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
This position is available to internal and external candidates and is a confidential management function group position.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.