Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
|Job Type :
|Reports To :
||Manager, Health Services
|Position Summary :
||The incumbent performs various nursing duties in a professional capacity and administers medical care according to Doctor's Orders, Medical Directives, as per College of Nursing Standards of Practice.
Contacts range from the University Community to various medical professionals and institutions. The major part of this position focuses on patient care, education and support. The incumbent will handle confidential medical information daily, works independently, and must exercise judgment and discretion in the performance of his/her duties.
||• Assesses each client's health and provides recommendations based on the assessment. This includes triaging of patients requesting same day appointments. Excellent assessment skills required to determine if medical concerns require same day assessment by a physician or if presenting concerns can be deferred until a booked appointment available within a week.
• Acting as a front line clinical assessor for students presenting with mental health and psychological issues at Health Services, the nurse will assess the needs of students at the time of triage and determine appropriate clinical intervention which may include referral to Counselling Services for crisis or intake referral, booked appointment for assessment by physician, referral to Accessible Learning for academic accommodation, referral to Academic advisor for academic consideration or referral to community crisis services.
• Health teaching on various medical matters using good communication skills and good knowledge base, including advising patients of results and need for follow-up .
• Deals with confidential material daily. Complies with medical-legal requirements of a health care facility.
• Maintains up to date medical records; manages patient recall system; and prepares medical excuse slips for ill students unable to write exams or complete assignments.
• Assist physicians with medical procedures, i.e. sutures, suture removal, dressings, etc.
• Dispense medication as ordered by the physician and pursuant to medical directives in the absence of a physician - good knowledge of birth control medications and immunizations.
• Requires current knowledge of issues of sexuality, i.e. HIV, family planning, pregnancy termination, gender identity.
• Administers allergy injections, immunizations, Tb skin tests.
• Arranges appointments with specialists for referrals, co-ordinates tests and documentation required for referral if necessary.
• Evaluates reports and uses good judgment when immediate intervention is required.
• Provides first aid and documentation for work related injuries for WSIB reporting through EOHS office.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
||• Registered Nurse with a current certificate from the College of Nurses of Ontario plus minimum two (2) years work related experience;
• Experience with Practice Solutions EMR preferred;
• Highly developed and proven effective interpersonal skills where issues are complex;
• Emergency experience and physical assessment skills a definite asset;
• Psychiatric nursing experience an asset
• Experience in working with university age group;
• Able to work flexible hours.
|Salary Notes :
||This is a part-time continuing position. The incumbent will be scheduled to work 3 scheduled shifts per week from September - April (34 weeks) while classes are in session. Monday and Friday 8:30 - 4:30 (7 hours) and Tuesday evenings from 4:30 - 8:30 (4 hours). Summer term hours from May - August (18 weeks) inclusive are 6.5 hours, Mondays 1 pm - 8:30 pm. Total annual hours is 729. The schedule may change with adequate notice.
The usual hours for the department are 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. and there is an expectation to occasionally be available for evening hours. As well, you may be expected to work Saturdays in December and April to accommodate the exam schedule. The incumbent will be available "on-call" when needed for sick time relief and vacation time.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.