Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
||ITS – ICT Infrastructure
|Job Type :
||Full-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
||Manager, ICT Infrastructure
|Position Summary :
||The Network Analyst works with the Senior Network Engineer to co-ordinate, design, implement, analyze, maintain and support the Laurier data network and the related hardware and software. As this is a 7 x 24 operation, the incumbent may have to work outside normal hours and may be required to be on call.
The Network Analyst is responsible for providing a reliable and secure data network, via both wired and wireless connection, to the entire Laurier community; at all campus locations.
The Network Analyst is also responsible for ensuring external connectivity to all services provided via the Internet to the internal and external community such as access to web sites and email communications.
The Laurier data network is the most critical component of the university’s infrastructure in support of Teaching, learning and Research.
It provides the means necessary:
• For information exchange and gathering via services such as email and Internet browsing.
• To store and reproduce information by providing access to file shares and print services.
• To provide access to collaborative tools for the sharing of ideas and extending research opportunities such as access to the research network ORION.
This position has a university-wide mandate and is based at the Waterloo Campus. The incumbent provides subject matter expertise to all campuses, requiring regular interpersonal interactions and collaboration with departments at the Waterloo Campus, the Brantford Campus, the Toronto office and external partners. Special attention is given to ensure equitable service delivery across all locations.
||• Provides after hours emergency response in the resolution of critical issues affecting the Laurier data network and associated systems.
• Participates in the negotiation of, and adherence to, established service level expectations with departments and faculties.
• Designs, implements, analyzes, maintains and supports the Laurier data network related hardware and software.
• Monitors the Laurier data network on a daily basis using state of the art tools; analyzes network data and responds to any areas of concern.
• Programs hubs, switches and routers with a view to optimizing network performance.
• Monitors and investigates issues relating to campus network security and ensure that all network components meet the Laurier security standard.
• Participates in and provides expertise in support of audits relating to network security and configuration.
• Develops and documents network standards and procedures.
• Works with and advises members of ICT Support and others within ICT Solutions as to end user problems and resolutions
• Works with and advises members of ICT Support and others within ICT Solutions as to networking policies and procedures.
• Assists the manager in identifying required technical training for the ICT Infrastructure team.
• Acts as technical support for the Telecommunications Engineer.
• Prepares and maintains accurate documentation of existing network infrastructure.
• Resolves complex network problems that may involve several different hardware and/or software products. (Many problems are unique and may not have reference for resolution.)
• Maintains accurate records of end user connectivity specifications.
• Investigates and stays current on new tools, processes and application that will provide better level of service.
• Carries out other network support and maintenance duties as directed by the Manager, ICT Infrastructure
||• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and at least 6 years experience in designing, implementing, maintaining and supporting a large distributed campus TCP/IP network.
• Advanced network communications theory
• Advanced network management software, concepts, and troubleshooting techniques
• Client network management from the operating systems point of view – examples of operating systems are Unix (different flavours), Microsoft Windows, and Novell Netware. Knowledge of virtualization software would be an asset.
• Expert knowledge of computer network infrastructure requirements including network security (for example building firewalls, authentication systems). Knowledge of NAC solutions and Palo Alto firewalls would be an asset.
• Ability to install and program highly complex network hardware and software
• Ability to determine highly complex network problems and to coordinate highly complex hardware and/or software solutions
• Ability to document network policies and procedures and create design documents.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work with users of varying technical expertise.
• Expert knowledge of current networking trends and developments (e.g. Wireless, Voice over IP)
• Relevant certifications in industry accepted designations relating to network infrastructure and security concepts.
• Equipment specific training for networks and server hardware from industry leading vendors such as Avaya, Cisco, Palo Alto.
• Expert knowledge of networking hardware, software, protocols and communication technologies.
• Advanced experience in the configuration and maintenance of routers and other critical network components.
• Advanced understanding of Windows/Unix operating systems and their networkability.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Experience in the network components required for VoIP (Voice over IP).
• Knowledge of industry standards such as ITIL, CoBIT.
||$33.30 - $39.16
|Salary Notes :
||This is a full-time, limited term position from November 1, 2013 - April 30,2014.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.