Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Date Posting Closes - External
||Manager of Football Operations and Head Coach
||Athletics & Recreation
||Full-time, Limited Term
||Director, Athletics & Recreation
||Reporting to the Director of Athletics and Recreation, the incumbent is accountable for the day-to-day management of the inter-university football operations, including the planning, strategic development, coaching, recruiting, staffing, marketing, evaluation and delivery of football operations at WLU. The incumbent is expected to serve as an effective spokesperson for the football program, promoting and enhancing the image of both the football program and the University both on campus and off campus at a National level. In addition, the incumbent will be accountable for the planning and operation of summer football camps, and event fundraising.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Manager of Football Operations and Head Coach will be accountable for the successful operation and strategic direction of the WLU men’s football program. More specifically the accountability of this position would currently include the hiring, discipline and performance management of the Assistant Football Coach (es) as well as twelve or more part-time positions directly related to the football operation. The Manager interprets and applies the collective agreement for unionized employees on behalf of the university. Leading the team members as a positive role model, the position is also responsible to lead the interaction with over 90 student athlete members of the football team. During the “season”, the football operation needs to be managed seven days a week including both training and competition. Out-of-season duties for the Manager of Football Operations and Head Coach include accountability for a comprehensive recruiting system designed to attract top quality student athletes. The incumbent will also be responsible for directing an effective off-season strength and conditioning program and will be accountable for providing the leadership and strategic direction of a successful student athlete development program. The Manager will be accountable to motivate Alumni to become involved in event fundraising and development activities and must meet fundraising targets. The Manager is accountable to develop and implement a fundraising strategy in conjunction with the WLU Football Advisory Board and the Director of Athletics and Recreation.
||• Hires, disciplines and evaluates the performance of at least one full time and twelve or more part-time staff who are part of the football operation;
• Accountable for the coordination and supervision of the inter-university football program so as to provide a quality, comprehensive, and successful program;
• Accountable for the promotion of positive relations with the alumni, Laurier Golden Hawks 5th Quarter Club, as well as the WLU and Kitchener/Waterloo communities and local media;
• Accountable for student athlete development, including recruiting, monitoring academic progress including access to confidential academic records, guidance and retention;
• Disseminate and interpret the rules governing both the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) and the Canadian Inter-University Sport (CIS);
• Ensures the athletic and academic eligibility of team members;
• Accountable for the management of all university funds budgeted for the football operation;
• Accountable to develop and implement a fundraising strategy in conjunction with the 5th Quarter Club, WLU Football Advisory Board and the Director of Athletics;
• Accountable for the performance of the Athletic Therapist/Strength and Conditioning Coach during the season to ensure development and implementation of a successful in-season strength program, maintenance program, injury assessment, rehabilitation and injury prevention program;
• Manages an effective off-season strength and conditioning program as developed by the Strength and Conditioning Coach, which will promote individual improvement in quickness, size and strength;
• Accountable for the purchasing and maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of all equipment and uniforms, including regular inspections and repairs and for health and safety within the football operation;
• Accountable for the establishment and maintenance of an effective student recruitment program which is attractive to top quality student athletes.
||• University degree (post-graduate preferred)
• Five years of successful coaching experience an asset
• Experience with budget management
• Integrity – a role model for student athletes, motivator, mentor
• Proven organizational, leadership and management skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Knowledge of the university environment, and university athletic recruiting an asset
• Strong technical background and practical experience at a highly competitive level
• Level III NCCP certification
• Strong leadership and human resource management skills (experience with public sector unions is desirable)
• Ability to work effectively in a university environment (ability to work consultatively and collegially)
• Commitment to the dignity of all individuals, fair and equitable treatment and equal opportunity for all
||This is a full-time, limited term contract for 3-5 years.
This position is available to all candidates and is a confidential management function group position.
Please upload a resume and cover letter.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.