Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
||Residence Life Area Co-ordinator
||Department of Residence
|Job Type :
||Full-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
||Manager of Residence, Brantford
|Position Summary :
||Reporting to the Manger of Residence, the Residence Life Area Coordinator (RLAC) is a full-time professional live-in position responsible for the supervision of multiple residence buildings on campus that accommodate approximately 625 students & residence staff. RLAC’s are expected to enhance the living environment of Laurier residence buildings by prioritizing staff and student development, resident outreach, community building, attention to facilities and administrative organization. RLAC’s are engaged members of the Residence Life Management Team that are collectively responsible for student staff selection, supervision, training, student conduct adjudication, residence policy, the residence learning communities and student leadership development. Successful professionals in the RLAC role approach the position as a lifestyle, regularly interacting with students and staff on weeknights and weekends in residence communities and on campus.
• Create and Manage the On-Call Schedule for the Residence Life Staff Team
• Chair weekly Residence Life Staff Meetings
• Recruit, Hire, Train, Develop and Evaluate the Residence Life Staff
• Coordinate the development and delivery of on-going training programs for the Residence Life Staff including; Summer Retreat, August Staff Training, In-Service Training, and on-going Student Employee Professional Development Opportunities.
• Directly manage and support the personal and professional growth of the Residence Life Staff
• Conduct formal and informal performance evaluations
• Conduct bi-weekly one-on-one meetings with the Residence Life Staff
• Create reward and recognition program(s) for the Residence Life Staff
• Be a resource for the Residence Life Staff by assisting with bookings, programming, providing resources
• Act as a liaison for the Residence Life Staff for other department’s campus wide.
• Provide on-going support for the staff member by being available for them.
• Be highly visible within the residence community
• In Conjunction with WLUSU Coordinate Move-In Day including the planning and implementation of the day’s events
• Possess a strong understanding and commitment to the development of students
• Act as a liaison for students with various other student affairs departments
• Work with students to develop and maintain an atmosphere conducive to study and community living, and encourage students to take responsibility for developing a community atmosphere
• Manage the residence judicial process by addressing inappropriate or destructive conduct through fair and appropriate outcomes, and a focus on student learning and development
• Counsel, advise and provide appropriate referrals for residents in need of professional services
• Manage emergency or crisis situations appropriately, applying conflict resolution skills and counseling techniques when necessary
• Be familiar with, uphold and promote departmental and institutional policies and procedures
• Interact with residents from a wide variety of age groups and social backgrounds, providing them with personal and administrative support necessary in developing inclusive communities
• Initiate change, develop and implement new ideas and concepts to improve the quality of life in residence, in consultation with and as agreed to by the Manager of Residence
• Provide Direction and Support for all Student Leadership Programs (Brantford Residence Council and the Residence Athletic Council)
• Work with the Residence Education Office to provide direction and support for the Residence Learning Communities
• Oversee the programming of the Residence Life Staff and ensure that it is meeting assigned programming requirements as well as the needs of individual communities
• Coordinate joint rounds with the Special Constables and the Residence Life Dons.
• Coordinate spring cleaning challenge assisting the Custodial Staff.
• Work with the LEAF office in conducting a residence orientation program for incoming students
• Coordinate the Residence portion of open house days in conjunction with Recruitment and Admissions staff
• Participate as needed in campus initiatives including but not limited to; Headstart, LEAP, Convocation, Orientation Week
• Monitor the On-Line Documentation System, and on call log books for the Residence Life Staff
• Manage a small Budget assigned by the Manager of Residence intended for staff training & development
• Create reports and pull statistics as needed regarding student conduct rates and specific incidents
• Coordinate extension requests within residence
• Assist in the production of the annual Residence Life documentation and policies.
• Collect, approve and distribute posters for Residence Buildings
• Assist with bi-annual suite checks and final check-outs
• Assist in annual Fire Drills
• Ensure that all residence facilities are kept in good repair, clean and properly used
• Liaise facility issues between Residence Life Dons and Physical Resources
• Follow Up on outstanding work orders and/or reoccurring repair issues
• Participate in a rotating 24 hours per day / 7 days per week on-call schedule to support the Residence Life Staff. Will be required to intervene and manage emergency situations.
• Must be willing to live-in residence for the duration of the contract period
• Undergraduate Degree
• First Aid and CPR
• Minimum 2 Years Experience in a Residence Environment
• Highly developed oral and written communication skills
• Highly motivated and have a proven leadership ability
• Proven ability to mediate conflict
• Presentation skills and comfortable facilitating training sessions
• Strong interpersonal communication skills
• Excellent stress and Time management skills
• Working knowledge of team building and team dynamics in a residence environment
• Creativity and Initiative in completing tasks.
• Proven ability to be flexible and work in a continuously changing organization
||$51, 734 - $57, 820
|Salary Notes :
||This is a full-time, limited term (3 year) contract from June 1, 2013 to May 31, 2016.
The hours of work for this position are 8:30am-4:30pm work day, however, some evening and weekend work will be required during peak periods
|Please Note :
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.