Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Date Posting Closes - External
||Administrative and Financial Assistant
||Waterloo Lutheran Seminary
||Full-time, Limited Term
Waterloo Lutheran Seminary (WLS) is a theological graduate school in Waterloo, Ontario. With over 100 students, WLS offers theological graduate programs; Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Theology, and Doctor of Ministry. It is well known for its Masters and Doctoral levels programs in Spiritual care and Psychotherapy. Founded in 1911, over its one hundred year history it was the institution that gave birth to Wilfrid Laurier University (Laurier) and to the University of Waterloo. As an affiliated college of Wilfrid Laurier University, the WLS is part of the Laurier Faculty of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Studies. Degrees for WLS academic programs are granted by Wilfrid Laurier University. Reporting to the Principal-Dean, the Administrative and Financial Assistant will be the Seminary Receptionist and will be in an important hospitality position to welcome people to the Seminary. They will be involved with general administrative duties with a focus on financial and institutional advancement, administration, event coordination and hospitality, and electronic communications. The successful candidate will need to understand and respect the nature of a faith community and the diversity of faith traditions at the Seminary.
The Administrative and Financial Assistant is required to understand and comply with the Seminary’s administrative procedures as well as the complex regulations of the University. The incumbent is responsible for prioritizing; organizing and completing their duties and responsibilities to provide the best possible service to students, faculty and staff and to ensure schedules and deadlines are adhered to.
The Administrative and Financial Assistant is accountable to the Principal-Dean. S/He may be asked to attend various meetings and committees on behalf of the Seminary.
The Administrative and Financial Assistant will ensure compliance with the academic and other policies of Waterloo Lutheran Seminary and Wilfrid Laurier University as appropriate in their areas of responsibility.
||Reporting to the Principal-Dean and working collaboratively with the staff colleagues, the administrative and Financial Assistant will be responsible for:
- Welcome people at the front desk in the main office
- Distribute parking passes to student and visitors
- Provide Directions to appropriate places
General Office Administrative Duties
- Provides administrative support to the Principal-Dean as required including secretarial support as well as meeting and event co-ordination
- Schedules/approves the use of Seminary building and property
- Books and coordinates use of Seminary rooms and equipment
- Develops and maintains a directory of contact information for donor database to facilitate institutional advancement.
- Administers financial donations to the Seminary and the provision of receipts to donors
- Assists with fundraising, mailing and contact with donors to WLS
- Keeps the main office organized and clean of clutter
- Orders office supplies as required and keeps office supply cabinet neat
- Assigns student mailboxes and lockers
- Files in the main office and for the Principal-Dean
- Is the main contact for photocopy machines (repairs / jams / questions / supplies)
- Maintaining the coffee machine, purchasing necessary supplies, making coffee for special events, and monitoring the cleanliness of the lounge.
- Matches P-Card statements to supporting detail (e.g. receipts, etc.) and follows up on missing documentation
- Coding of all vendor invoices
- Makes all financial deposits
- Process all non-Human Resources cheque requisitions
- Reconciles general ledger accounts
- Issues any invoices as required (to other organizations); ensure money received
- Organizing and coordinating Seminary events as assigned by the Principal-Dean (e.g., annual Christmas party) and assisting at other events (e.g. Luther Hostel / golf tournament)
- Administers the “petty cash” reconciliation
Technical / communication items:
- Responsible for monitoring and updating the WLS website
- Posts and Updates the WLS Online Journal, “Consensus.
Other duties as negotiated with the Principal-Dean
- College diploma and relevant experience
- Demonstrated customer service skills, with a commitment to service excellence and to representing the Seminary with a high degree of professionalism and respect for diverse cultures and faiths
- Proven ability to work in a confidential service environment requiring empathy, integrity, tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including logical thinking and decision-making skills with attention to detail and accuracy, and the ability to work with a high degree of independence in a stressful student-centred service environment
- Superior organizational and time management skills, proven dependability and flexibility, including the ability to effectively multi-task, prioritize workflow, and work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Proven ability to sustain a high degree of concentration on detailed information on both paper and computer screens; • Excellent verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated proofreading copy editing and writing skills
- A basic knowledge of budget and accounting principles
- Technically adept with applicable software applications, Microsoft Office suite email/web applications with the ability to, and interest in, learning applications in the Laurier IT environment.
- A working knowledge of computer software and willingness to support the use of the Laurier Online Learning Delivery System (i.e. My Learning Space)
||Hours of Work: The normal hours for this position are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday. Some flexibility in hours will be required to assist with special events and meetings.
This is a one year, limited term contract with the potential for renewal.
Please upload a resume and cover letter.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.