Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
||Online Learning Assistant
||Teaching Support Services
|Job Type :
|Reports To :
||Manager: Online Learning
|Position Summary :
||The Online Learning Assistant works closely with a team of committed individuals, demonstrating a high degree of knowledge, skill, organizational and time management in their day-to-day work. Attention to detail and accuracy is imperative and knowledge of all aspects of Online Learning is a must.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:, the coordination and administration of all online midterm exams, with particular emphasis on distance students within Canada and other countries; booking rooms for each examination centre; hiring, training, and supervising invigilators, including bein primary contact for remote proctoring service provider; providing support for students writing outside of these centres; assisting them in locating proctors; distribution of exams and scheduling deferred exams based on individual student needs; and providing support to students. This position works closely with faculty to provide direction and guidance to ensure accurate and consistent information regarding midterm examinations. This position also provides documentation and assistance to the final exams assistant in providing documentation and backup for students requesting to write outside of a regular centre
Responsibilities also include charging student accounts, preparing and organizing student materials for delivery, anticipating future issues and challenges associated with the delivery of online courses and problem solving in collaboration with other staff and the manager, providing sound customer service, maintaining the Centre for Online Learning web site, and processing end-of-term instructor evaluations.
Customer Service for Online Learning
- Anticipates, assesses, and jointly problem solves matters associated with course selection and registration, material availability and delivery, office and University policy and procedures;
- Provides accurate, timely and up-to-date information and referrals to other Laurier departments (e.g., name, number, web reference, resources);
- Ensures a high level of customer service is maintained and that the University is represented in a professional manner to the internal and external community ;
- Uses discretion in judging circumstances regarding deferred midterms and if exceptions are made for refunds and charges against student accounts;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Utilizes the Banner system daily to input assignments and midterms, update student addresses, charge and refund student accounts, generate reports;
- Operates the multi-CD burner and video duplication systems upon request;
- Functions as primary contact with remote proctoring service provider;
- Utilizing desktop shipping software for distribution of course materials to students and instructors;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Prepares midterm exam schedule each tem, in close consultation with instructors;
- Obtains and prepares midterms for each course requiring such;
- Contracts, trains and arranges for payment of invigilators, including remote proctoring provider;
- Is primary contact for deferred midterm arrangements;
- Is primary point of contact for all student inquiries regarding midterms
- Other duties as assigned
- Assists with maintenance of the Centre web site (e.g., updates information, midterm schedule, guides, forms);
- Proactively updates new information and suggests and implements improvements
- Ensures that all necessary information is included and current in the online midterm schedule;
- Checks and updates midterms with instructors each term
- Responsible for monitoring administrative support function in online learning courses;
- Remain tactful but firm with instructors to ensure timely responses to requests for information;
- Communicates and works with instructors and Educational Technology team in generally ensuring courses are up to date and reflect all current and relevant information
- Coordinates the administration of online learning midterm exams, in face to face and virtual settings
- Co-ordinates the assembly and distribution of online learning course materials;
- Suggests improvements to existing Centre policies and procedures;
- Assists in the training of new staff;
- Assists with Official Count;
- Processes end-of-term instructor evaluations using Excel and basic statistical functions (mean, median, mode);
- Communicates course changes (e.g., closed/cancelled courses) and updates to students and other departments;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Sound knowledge of the university’s internal structure and operations
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and customer skills
- Excellent organizational and personal management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a close-knit team
- Able to handle emotionally charged and difficult situations in a professional manner
- Capable of providing sensitive and compassionate advice to students
- Attentive to detail and accuracy of work
- Precision and confidence in responding to faculty and student queries
- Self-motivated (e.g., able to learn quickly)
- Ability to follow procedures and anticipate outcomes
- Sound knowledge of the Banner system required
- Sound knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office Adobe Acrobat, and Dreamweaver required
- Sound knowledge of all aspects of online learning required
- Secondary school diploma required
- Post-secondary education an asset, especially from Wilfrid Laurier University
|Salary Notes :
||This is part-time, continuing position. The hours of work are 20 hours/week, Monday to Friday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.. May be required to work outside the normal hours of work to include evenings and/or weekends.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.