Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Date Posting Closes - External
||Co-ordinator: Programs (Recreation)
||Athletics and Recreation
||Full-time, Limited Term
||Associate Director, Recreation and Facilities
||Reporting to the Associate Director of Recreation and Facilities, the Coordinator Recreation Programs - Intramural Sports, Instruction, Fitness, Climbing Wall and Casual Recreation is responsible for the day to day delivery and operation of a comprehensive recreation program in the areas of Instruction, Intramural sports, Fitness and Casual Recreation that serve the needs of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community at Wilfrid Laurier University.
The Coordinator Recreation must focus on developing a student-centered programming model by recruiting, hiring, training, supervising, mentoring, and evaluating teams and individual student leaders. Ongoing analysis and monitoring of trends and service standards with respect to specific programs and related equipment is required. Quality programming and revenue generation are shared goals to ensure cost recovery in most programs areas.
The responsibilities of this position are primarily through the collaboration and teamwork with other Department of Athletics and Recreation staff and specifically, with the Coordinator Programs - Aquatics, Clubs and Camps and Coordinator Facilities. In addition, the Coordinator will need to develop partnerships/liaise with the Kinesiology/Physical Education department, outside community fitness providers, and other student services to procure qualified student leaders and program development.
The Coordinator Recreation Programs must actively promote, encourage, and support the mission, goals, and values of the Department and an active living model for the campus. The success of the Recreation program will rest on the Coordinator’s ability to respond to student and other customer needs, work within a diverse team of part-time/casual staff, and mentor/train student interns, as well as instructional, fitness and intramural staff.
- Responsible for program planning and design, ensuring facility needs; prudent budget monitoring, safety, publicity and promotions, registration, evaluation of Intramural Sports, Instruction, Fitness, Climbing Wall and Casual Recreation programs.
- In conjunction with the Associate Director Recreation and Facilities, the Coordinator Recreation Programs is responsible for the development of long and short term objectives and action plans to maintain and improve the delivery of the programs and services.
- Collaborate with the Coordinator, Programs – Aquatics, Clubs and Camps and the Associate Director, Recreation and Facilities in the design and content of the Campus Recreation Guide annually as well as additional promotional materials i.e. posters, pamphlets, advertisements for all programs.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and evaluate teams of student staff as per health and safety requirements and specific discipline protocols.
- In conjunction with the Associate Director Recreation and Facilities and the Coordinator Programs –Aquatics, Clubs and Camps, the Coordinator will assist in the policy development, systems and procedures related to all Recreation programming.
- The Coordinator will be a member of the Department Risk Management Committee.
- There is a need to establish and maintain contacts with counterparts at other educational institutions to stay abreast of new equipment, programming trends, and customer service issues.
- Undergraduate degree in Kinesiology/Physical Education or equivalent degree
- Minimum three years experience in programming with some of Intramural sports, Instruction, Fitness and Casual Recreation
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to reliably multi-task to meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Proven ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Experience recruiting, hiring, training and supervising student staff
- Experience with monitoring budgets and excellent attention to detail
- Fitness certification in fitness instruction and personal training from a Canadian certifying agency an asset
- Certification and/or experience in sport officiating an asset
- Knowledge of the university environment
||*This is a full-time, limited term leave replacement position for a duration of twelve (12) months from February 25, 2013 to January 10, 2014.
HOURS: The nature of the work requires that the Co-ordinator work non-standard hours for WLUSA members which includes evenings and weekends as this is when most programs are in operation.
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.