Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Apply By :
|Position Title :
|Job Type :
||Part-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
||Manager, LEAF Program
|Position Summary :
||The incumbent is responsible for providing academic English instruction in the Laurier English and Academic Foundation (LEAF) Program and other related English programs.
- Provide instruction in English as a second language.
- Create and maintain detailed lesson plans for each class.
- Design supplementary materials for in-class lessons.
- Assist in curriculum development and program evaluation.
- Provide guidance to new international students in adapting to a new culture and environment
- Encourage and monitor ESL students on all aspects of their academic progress and schedule, as well as their participation in school activities and programs, and advocate for their participation as appropriate
- Act as a resource for students to ensure they are aware of, and have access to, applicable student services offered within the University or externally in the community
- Provide all students with a safe and appropriate learning environment.
- Utilize appropriate ESL curriculum using a variety of materials and teaching techniques to enhance student learning and outcomes, and to maintain student interest.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records and personal information at all times.
- Meet with students to provide assistance and give feedback.
- Track student progress.
- Create and administer tests.
- Maintain office hours.
- Act as a peer mentor to new instructors.
- Attend staff meetings.
- May be required to attend student functions.
- Other duties related to the operation of the language program.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s an asset) in a field related to ESL instruction (i.e. Education, English, Linguistics)
- Certification in Teaching English as a Second Language or membership in a professional organization for teachers of English
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience teaching English at the college or university level; overseas experience an asset
- Demonstrated effectiveness in cross-cultural communication
- Previous experience with electronic equipment and control equipment
- Knowledge of a foreign language a definite asset
|Salary Notes :
||This is a part-time, limited term position (25 hrs/wk) from April 29-August 16, 2013.
|Please Note :
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.