Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
||Manager, Communications: Development and Alumni Relations
||Development and Alumni Relations
|Job Type :
|Reports To :
||VP, Development & Alumni Relations
|Position Summary :
||A dynamic, multi-faceted Development and Alumni Relations communications and marketing plan is of vital importance to the university as it launches its most ambitious fundraising campaign in its history and builds relationships with alumni and donors in an increasingly competitive and technology-based fundraising environment. As a member of the Development and Alumni Relations management team, with accountability to Communications, Public Affairs and Marketing (CPAM), the Manager, Communications: Development and Alumni Relations, will be responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing integrated communications and marketing strategies to advance the university’s alumni engagement and fundraising plans and goals, with a key focus being the launch of the university’s fundraising campaign.
A strategic communications professional with outstanding writing skills and a creative flair, the incumbent will review and oversee implementation of the five-year communications and marketing plan that focuses on ongoing (annual and major giving) and campaign-related fundraising, alumni engagement activities and goals; as well as the enhancement of web and new media platforms. S/he will play a pivotal role in determining and developing both targeted and broad-based communications and marketing initiatives for internal and external audiences/stakeholders. Recognizing that media platforms are constantly evolving, the incumbent will also be well-versed in trends and developments in e-communications and e-fundraising and will help identify best methods and initiatives to reach priority audiences. S/he will be responsible for meeting objectives established in consultation with the VP, Development and Alumni Relations, the Development and Alumni Relations management team and the AVP, Communications, Public Affairs and Marketing. The incumbent will supervise and provide guidance to staff involved in the delivery of communications and marketing strategies.
||• Reviews and implements, with broad consultation, the five-year communications and marketing strategic plan for Development and Alumni Relations.
• Co-ordinates the work of Development and Alumni Relations communications with the office of Communications, Public Affairs and Marketing (CPAM).
• Works with CPAM in the development and implementation of comprehensive visual identity standards for use on Development & Alumni Relations, communications and Campaign materials, to ensure consistency with overall university visual identity standards.
• Develops key themes and messages and ensures their consistent integration through all Development, Alumni Relations/Annual Giving and Campaign communications.
• Co-ordinates and participates in the writing, editing and approval process for all communications pieces. This includes, but is not limited to: Campaign materials; proposals for major gift initiatives; newsletters; website; donor reports; videos/podcasts; promotional profiles of donors and/or alumni; advertising campaigns; presentations; annual giving materials; brochures etc.
• Works with staff in the office of CPAM in the production of Campaign literature, website, and supporting materials.
• Utilizes relevant social media as appropriate to achieve communications and fundraising goals.
• Creates and develops a worldwide electronic community of alumni using the tools of the internet, vendors, and campus resources.
• Generates and directs content to increase the use of web and new media platforms.
• Leads all e-communications initiatives, working closely with the Annual Giving team on all e-fundraising initiatives.
• Researches and drafts Campaign and Development/Alumni-related news releases to be approved by and distributed through CPAM, conducting interviews as required.
• Oversees development of special event communications materials (invitations, programs, etc.)
• Works collaboratively with the Wilfrid Laurier University Alumni Association to support its communications objectives
||• Bachelor’s degree combined with a minimum of 7 years’ experience in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, and/or public affairs.
• Demonstrated expertise in web writing and web development; formal training would be an asset.
• Demonstrated success in the development and implementation of strategic communications and marketing, ideally in a fundraising environment.
• Strong knowledge of, and background in, social media and web applications for a wide variety of communications purposes, ideally including fundraising.
• Familiarity with a university environment an asset.
• Superior written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated through a first-rate and varied portfolio of writing samples.
• Creative design sense, and ability to work with creative professionals to develop projects from concept to final product, as demonstrated through project samples.
• Knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access), InDesign, Photoshop. Knowledge of HTML and web 2.0 management tools, Linked In, Facebook etc.
• Proven ability to meet deadlines and manage several projects simultaneously.
• Strong attention to detail and follow-up.
• Ability to work independently, to multi-task and to lead and work within a team environment.
• Sound news judgment and the ability to identify, develop, and deliver stories of interest to the media.
• Sophisticated problem solving and prioritizing abilities in a multi-task environment.
• Appreciation of diverse perspectives and ability to work with diverse groups.
• Complete discretion with sensitive information and sensitive situations.
||$81,818 - $91,444
|Please Note :
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.