Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Date Posting Closes - External
||Manager, Payroll Services
||The incumbent provides accurate and timely payroll processing for all faculty, staff and students, in accordance with University policy and six collective agreements. The incumbent is also responsible for a wide variety of duties relevant to the efficient and timely operation of the Human Resources/Payroll function including remittances and reconciliations. The position provides support for Human Resources activities and works with confidential data, requiring discretion and sensitivity. Using Customer Service approach, the position responds professionally to employee questions and concerns and takes initiative to problem solve and resolution in a timely manner.
||• Payroll processing - processes bi-weekly payrolls, in a computerized environment, from the initial stage to completion for unionized and non-unionized employees;
• Works collaboratively with other Payroll Administrators to ensure payroll compliance and deadlines are met;
• Interprets provisions of six collective agreements and applies these to all payroll processes and transactions;
• Communication – provides detailed information/explanation to employees regarding their compensation. The incumbent is expected to use empathy and diplomacy in communicating with employees orally, by telephone and in writing;
• Accounting - responsible for the calculation and remittance of various deductions, for all payroll groups; reconciles payroll accounts with the General Ledger; ensures accurate expense and liability accounts are processed.
• Provides payroll information to HR Managers and the AVP for planning, collective bargaining, and grievance resolution;
• Prepares Record of Employment forms and provides assistance to HRSDC in investigation of EI claims;
• Assists Financial Resources, the Internal Auditor and External Auditors with monthly and year end balancing and reconciliation;
• Participates in payroll department projects as required including Banner and other system upgrades;
• Provides guidance and assistance to Managers and Faculty with respect to Payroll requirements, paperwork and deadlines;
• Identifies/recommends improvements within the payroll administration function.
||• Secondary school diploma plus Level One of the Canadian Payroll Management Certificate Program or an equivalent related Post-Secondary program, coupled with a minimum of 2 years recent related experience processing payroll in a computerized environment;
• Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills to deal with strict deadlines;
• Proven ability to effectively multi-task and produce accurate work in a fast-paced deadline driven environment;
• Must adapt quickly to demanding situations;
• Accuracy and attention to detail is critical;
• Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively in a tightly knit team and individually;
• Possesses an understanding of automated payroll software (the University uses SunGard Banner and Cognos software);
• Must have strong mathematical proficiency;
• Proficient with Excel and Word, with knowledge of various other software packages;
• Reasonable level of expertise with scripting and file transfer processing (Internet);
• Portrays professionalism and exemplifies exceptional customer service skills.
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.