Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
||Co-ordinator: Cooperative Education
|Job Type :
||Full-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
||Associate Director, Co-operative Education
|Position Summary :
The Co-ordinator: Cooperative Education is accountable for contributing to the education, career planning and personal growth of Laurier students by interviewing and selecting them for admission to co-op, preparing them for their job search and employment, generating career related work opportunities which provide them with marketable employment skills, monitoring student performance and helping to resolve issues in the work place, and interacting with academic and professional bodies to strengthen ties between Co-op, Laurier and the business community. Co-ordinators serve employers by responding to their recruiting needs, offering them access to mature, skilled and energetic students, co-ordinating the hiring process, and procuring their satisfaction with students hired during work terms. Co-ordinators provide personal, responsive service to students and employers.
The Department of Co-operative Education is responsible for the Co-op Option at Laurier which is available in arts, science, business and economics at the Waterloo campus and currently involves the employment of students in more than 1,300 work terms annually. This position is one of nine reporting directly to the Associate Director of Co operative Education, including the Marketing and External Relations Manager, the Manager of Co-op at the Brantford Campus, six Co-ordinators and the Office Supervisor. There are also four external Co-ordinators with offices in the GTA that report to the Marketing and External Relations Manager. While the role of each Co op Co ordinator is basically the same, each has individual responsibility for an assigned geographic territory and/or managing smaller programs within the Department of Co operative Education, such as Arts Co-op, Science Co op and double degree co-op programs combining Business with Math or Computing.
Work independently to develop appropriate co-op work term positions and meet the departmental goal of 100% employment each term.
- Prepare a marketing strategy to promote SBE, Arts and Science students which includes researching, defining and developing market opportunities
- Conduct in-person marketing visits, telemarketing, email and direct mail campaigns with potential employers across all levels of the organization, including senior executives, line managers, and human resources representatives
- Determine and prepare appropriate presentations for employers, including both formal boardroom and individual one-on-one meetings
- Build effective relationships with new and current employer clients through personal, responsive service
- Coordinate the hiring process by encouraging employers to interview on campus and provide assistance and support to them before, during and after interviews. Assist with and attend employer information sessions
- Advise employers on recruiting strategies and guidelines
Contribute to the educational, professional and personal growth of participating students by helping them explore career options, develop job search skills, secure rewarding work term opportunities and gain marketable employment skills.
- Interview and select students for admission to co-op in those programs where enrolment is limited and admission is competitive
- Ensure student preparation for the work term by participating in the design and implementation of a mandatory, non-credit co-op preparatory course, which covers topics such as resume and cover letter writing, job search methods, interview preparation, career opportunities, report writing, social adjustment, and appropriate work habits
- Advise students on the development of appropriate learning objectives for their work terms and assess their initial written submissions. Review progress in meeting objectives with both students and their employers at the work term visit, and in student work reports and their final self-evaluation at back-to-campus meetings
- Advise students on job search strategies and industry-specific careers information through individual appointments o Review and evaluate student work term reports. Select worthy reports for awards
Monitor the quality of positions, student performance during work terms and satisfaction levels of stakeholders.
- Assist employers in developing job descriptions and approving them prior to posting
- Schedule and conduct work term visits with individual students and their managers to monitor quality of positions and satisfaction of both parties
- Provide mediation and guidance to students and employers during the work term to resolve issues such as performance problems, inappropriate job responsibilities, and interpersonal conflicts
- Ensure employers complete evaluations and that they discuss them with students; review evaluations with students upon their return to campus
- Obtain final evaluation of co-op positions from students at back-to-campus meetings and conduct follow-up with employers as appropriate
Promote and provide information about Laurier Co-op.
- Develop workshops, promotional material and forms; organize multimedia presentations and displays
- Establish and maintain linkages with assigned professional associations for networking and professional development; organizations may include Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario, Insurance Institute of Canada, Supply Chain and Logistics Canada, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario, and various boards of trade
- Provide information and guidance to faculty, high school students, and parents at events; communicate and meet individually with students and their parents
Manage individual projects to support the department.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures to facilitate the effectiveness of the Co-op Office
- Automate office systems
- Administer program for international or out-of-province opportunities
- Administer employment contracts between the University and designated employers
- Ad hoc projects as required
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree plus two (2) years related experience in job development, employment advising, and sales/marketing
- Awareness of current employment market conditions and job search techniques
- Knowledge of Laurier’s SBE and Arts & Science programs
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with people
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to focus on multiple priorities
- A reliable vehicle as extensive travel is required
|Salary Notes :
||This is a full-time, limited term leave replacement role for a duration up to eight (8) months from February 2013 to October 18, 2013.
While the hours for this position are primarily 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., five days per week, the there will be a need to vary the start and end time during on-campus interview periods while employers are visiting our campus in each of three terms annually, requiring the incumbent to help host employers earlier or later in the day. There may also be some variation in start and end time required during the co-op admissions process in the fall and when conducting visits to employers each term.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.