Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
||Communications & Media Relations Officer
||Communications, Public Affairs and Marketing
|Job Type :
||Full-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
||Director, Communications and Public Affairs
|Position Summary :
||The Communications & Media Relations Officer will be a versatile contributor to the university’s Communications, Public Affairs and Marketing department. Reporting to the Director: Communications and Public Affairs, the Communications & Media Relations Officer will be involved in a variety of communications, media relations, and marketing tasks that help raise the profile of the university. These tasks include: proactively seeking Laurier stories to promote to the news media and/or to be used in communications and marketing initiatives; promoting Laurier experts to comment on current issues in the media; researching and writing news releases, research-related articles, news stories, marketing materials, and other print and online communications; and assisting with news inquiries and media relations tasks.
||• Seeks out newsworthy stories within the university to promote to the news media.
• Liaises regularly with deans, department heads and key faculty, administrators and staff within the university to identify and promote newsworthy stories.
• Writes news releases, research-related articles, news stories, marketing materials and other communication pieces for print, website and social media channels.
• Assists with news inquiries and media relations tasks, such as arranging media interviews with appropriate faculty, administrators, staff and students.
• Solicits and conducts interviews with the full range of people associated with the university.
• Attends university events as required for media-relations and information-gathering purposes (e.g. guest lectures, news conferences, Senate and Board of Governor meetings, etc.).
• Assists with monitoring the news media for opportunities to promote the university externally.
• Assists with updating the university’s online Experts List by encouraging individual faculty members to provide their expertise and contact information to this listing.
||• Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or a related discipline.
• Minimum of five years’ work experience in communications, media relations, journalism, and/or publications development.
• Superior written skills, including work experience writing news and feature stories, marketing material, and web and social media content.
• Work experience in media relations, including the ability to deal with reporters working under tight deadlines, and to deal with multiple demands, priorities and competing deadlines.
• Superior news judgment and interviewing skills.
• Excellent proofreading skills.
• Superior verbal and interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a collaborative environment.
• Superior problem-solving and prioritizing skills in a multi-task environment.
• Appreciation for diverse perspectives and the ability to work with diverse groups, including members of the media, administration, faculty, staff and students.
||$31.03 - $36.51
|Salary Notes :
||This is a full-time, limited term position for the duration of 6 months.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.