Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Date Posting Closes - External
||Manager, Administrative Information Systems
||Director, ICT Solutions
||The Manager: Administrative Information Systems is primarily responsible for application management and support for the Retail and Ancillary applications, Laurier’s Web services, the Finance applications (Millennium) and the Banner module for Human Resources. In addition the manager is also responsible for the other enterprise applications in use across the university (Benbria EMS, ORBIS and others). It is one of four management positions reporting to the Director, Information Technology Solutions. In addition to managing the life-cycle of the university information systems and the team that supports it, the manager is responsible for ensuring the unit provides the highest quality support to end–users of the systems. The incumbent provides professional and technical expertise as well as organizing, planning, budgeting, developing, and directing the enterprise solutions area.
Interpersonal interactions are required on an ongoing basis with all departments at the Brantford Campus, the Waterloo Campus, Post Secondary Partners, and Wilfrid Laurier University Students Union. The incumbent will be expected to build strong relationships and earn the position of trusted advisor with all clients across the university. This will be a critical success factor in helping our clients describe their new system requirements and then implementing solutions that will meet or exceed those requirements. The incumbent will provide subject matter expertise to key University initiatives in a multi-campus environment. The incumbent will participate on multi-campus university wide coordinating groups responsible for alignment of strategic direction and policy.
||Responsible for planning and delivering enterprise ICT software solutions to the faculty, staff and student community at the university. Systems and services will normally fall into one of the following categories
• Teaching and Learning- solutions that are used by all or some of the teaching and learning units at the university
• Finance and Administration- solutions that support the back office administrative functions of the university, such as Human Resources and Finance.
• Retail and Ancillary systems- solutions that are maintained for non-core operations of the university and are cost recovery or ‘for profit’ operations such as parking services, residence services, onecard and the bookstore.
• Web Services – support for the university website, the main university content management system, and enterprise web application development
ICT Service Management
• Establish, implement and ensure compliance with appropriate software development and maintenance standards and University policies and practices.
• As a member of the broader University wide ICT Leadership group, consults with and provides input to the Director, ICT Support regarding University wide ICT strategic direction and policy.
• In alignment with University ICT strategic direction and policy, develops Campus specific operating strategies, policies, and procedures to meet local operating conditions.
• Ensure that third level support requests escalated from ICT user support are properly addressed by the team.
• Given the confidential nature of information held within these systems , establish and monitor system and database security policies and procedures to ensure as secure an environment as possible.
• Develops and implements appropriate procedures, process, controls, key performance indicators and standards to ensure that ICT support evolves and improves over time;
ICT Solutions Management
• Plan, organize and co-ordinate application support, development, upgrade and maintenance of the University Information Systems.
• Work with the ICT Directors, other senior management and end-user groups to ensure that the systems in use and in development are aligned with the strategic goals of the university;
• Consults with faculty, staff and students in order to develop, maintain, and modify solutions to meet with needs of the university;
• Recommends to the university administration and appropriate committees priorities regarding information and communication technology solutions and projects;
• Contributes to an information and communication technology strategy for the ITS department and ensures it is aligned with the university mission, vision and academic plan;
• Investigates and keeps informed about new ICT developments for academic environments.
• Responsible for representing the university at an executive level when dealing with other universities and most major vendors of hardware and software.
• Fosters business relationships and partnerships with information and communication technology providers and internal stakeholder groups.
• Work with a funding model that includes base operating funding as well as variable fee-for service models.
• Creates and executes project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
• Provide a mechanism for completing projects on time and on budget, for coordinating a portfolio of projects, and for project planning and quality assurance.
• Ensure planned benefits for a given initiative are obtained (Business case, Post Implementation review, etc.).
• Coordinate improvement activities within the department by benchmarking, analyzing key performance indicators and developing and executing target improvement projects.
• Responsible for providing leadership and prudent fiscal management for the information and communication technology team:
• Although this is a team of technical professionals the ability to provide leadership, mentoring and motivation to team members will be paramount.
• Manage and monitor all activities of the ES application team, including: project assignment and resource allocation; project management; design and implementation standards; hiring; performance evaluations; and training and career development
• Ability to communicate effectively with representatives from a variety of stakeholder groups in a multi campus environment
• Administers and authorizes the appropriation of the information and communication technology solutions budget;
• Serves on a variety of committees, project teams and working groups.
• Lead and effectively manage ES departmental organizational change.
• Work closely with other members of the ITS management team in ensuring effective and efficient operation of the department.
• Will supervise various project team members from other units working on ITS projects.
• Familiar with and ensures compliance with applicable employment policies, practices and legislation
• Other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
||• This position requires a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business, Information Systems, or a closely related field.
• Five years managerial or supervisor responsibilities.
• Minimum of three years of professional work experience in a computer-related field as a senior systems analyst or database administrator.
• Considerable knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software such as Sunguard Banner
• Expertise in the principles, application and understanding of the role of project management; Good project management skills.
• Ability to develop business cases, cost estimates and total cost of ownership models for full system lifecycles.
• Ability to manage the full life cycle for application development and support.
• Sophisticated problem solving and prioritizing abilities in a multi-task environment.
• Proven ability to work under deadlines and manage changing priorities.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and management.
• Other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
||$81,818 - $91,443
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.