Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
|Job Type :
||Full-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
||Director, Counselling Services
|Position Summary :
||The Counsellor/Psychotherapist contributes to the educational mission of Wilfrid Laurier University by providing professional personal counselling, crisis intervention, performance skills consultation, group workshops or seminars, promotional and self-help materials, and related services to students and the University community. The responsibilities of this position will be divided among personal counselling, performance coaching, and related educational, promotional and supervisory functions, according to service demand and staffing requirements.
• Provides professional counselling and brief intermittent psychotherapy for clients’ personal, developmental, psychiatric and psychological issues in academic and non-academic areas. The types of clients and issues supported will depend both on the clients’ presenting issues and goals and the therapist’s training and professional competencies. This may include individual, couple and group therapy and group information sessions.
• Creates a collaborative, individualized treatment plan according to professional standards and best practices
• Completes risk assessments and management plans with all clients presenting with suicide risk, provides timely crisis intervention, safety planning, support and referral as required
• Completes Client Intakes, Intake Updates and Crisis Screening/Assessment appointments appraising client needs, suitability for counselling treatment within a short term counselling model with counselor-match and/or campus/community referral as required
• Completes clinical documentation according to professional and department standards in a timely manner
• Ensures Counselling Director and other involved staff are aware of students who may be at risk of harm, significant deterioration or otherwise require support from Counselling Services
• Responds to internal and external inquires and concerns by providing information, consultation and referral
• Participates in CS and WLU Department and/or campus wide promotional out-reach activities, meetings, and events
• Provides supervision of volunteer students offering assistance with CS promotional outreach
• Provides Professional (Counselling/Psychotherapy) supervision to CS practicum students if opportunity presents
• Participates in meetings and consultations with colleagues
• Contributes to the effective functioning of the department through service delivery, participation in meetings, strategic planning days, individual projects and committees
• Contributes to overall department and service evaluation planning through detailed record keeping using a computerized system
• Assists students whose needs are outside the CS scope of practice to identify and access other support services
• Provides individual office consultation on psychological skills (e.g. concentration, motivation, stress management) in academic performance (e.g. exams, presentations, class participation)
• Provides individual consultation on psychological skills in non-academic performance (e.g. music, athletics, interpersonal communication)
• May facilitate instructional workshops in psychological performance skills.
• Provides on-line workshops and other Web resources on personal development and/or performance-related topics
• Provides other instructional or self-help media (e.g. printed handouts);
• Provides promotional materials to support the above services, as needed.
• Contributes to the practical organization and co-ordination of services above;
• Contributes to overall Departmental needs assessment, program planning and service evaluation, as required
• Other duties as assigned.
||• Master’s degree in Counselling/Clinical Psychology, Social Work, Education, or a related discipline required;
• Minimum two years demonstrated experience, skill and interest in providing personal counselling, crisis assessment and management, and related services
• Experience working with post-secondary students an asset
• Ability and interest in performance skills coaching through individual consultation and related services;
• Ability and interest in producing self-help resources in Web or print formats;
• Ability and interest in supervising student employees, volunteers, or interns in clinical, instructional, promotional, or peer-helping roles;
• Demonstrated skills in written and oral communication, group facilitation, program planning and promotion, team co-operation.
• Membership in good standing with professional college and/or Association preferred
||$33.30 - $39.16
|Salary Notes :
||This is a full-time, limited term position for the duration of 4 months.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.