Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Date Posting Closes - External
||Events and Support Specialist
||Office of the SEO
||Full-time, Limited Term
||Senior Executive Officer
||The Events and Support Specialist performs and coordinates specific support projects as required including the provision of varied and complex office support within the Office of the SEO. Provides general support to the department and works closely with other members of the Office of the SEO as well as other subject matter experts across the university. The incumbent works closely with the Executive Assistant to the SEO to ensure that high-profile events, which provide important interaction with students as well as academic, business and community leaders, alumni, elected officials, and volunteers foster the best possible institutional image.
It is essential that the Specialist possess excellent communication, interpersonal, attention to detail, time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills. The incumbent must be able to work independently and collaboratively and have a keen interest in promoting and supporting the strategic goals of the university. The Events and Support Specialist works in consultation with University Community Relations and is guided by university wide-strategic direction and policy for events involving chancellor, president, board and senate.
||Provides administrative support for specifically assigned activities for the Office of the SEO:
Prepares and reviews agenda documents for committee meetings and distributes agenda packages. Attends committee meetings and takes/prepares meeting minutes;
• Coordinates meetings with key individuals to establish schedules and budgets;
• Works with CPAM team to create core promotional material including advertisements, invitations, flyers, posters, media releases, etc;
• Prepares final statistical reports, debriefing and follow-up reports after each event for distribution to the SEO
• Maintains accurate and up-to-date records of government appointments, politicians, business contacts
• Researches topics and biographical information related to protocol visits and event participants
• Act as a resource person and consultant for university staff on matters of event management
• Manages and coordinated Brantford campus United Way campaign;
• Campus logistics for special university meetings including Board of Governors, Senate, and senior administration town hall meetings. As requested by the Executive Assistant and by other university-wide Executive Assistants assists with arranging meeting rooms preparation, catering, parking, and temporary office space;
• Works with Development and Alumni, Physical Resources, and other campus departments as well as the university Art Curator to support campus art initiatives;
• Prepares and maintains related information on the Office of the SEO web site.
Coordinates events for the campus on behalf of the Office of the SEO:
• Works closely with event sponsors, committees, and hosts to ensure that all aspects of event planning meet the highest standards of protocol and logistics.
• Organize logistics for convocation, honorary degree recipient dinner, and other convocation related activities in conjunction with the Ceremonies and Events office.
• Works with campus departments and other university-wide specialists to support events as required;
• Identifies and coordinates university support staff as needed for events (i.e. Convocation support)
• Prepares guest lists and RSVP lists for events in coordination with the Office of the SEO or the event sponsor;
• Develops event schedules, work plans, budgets, promotional materials, and related web pages;
• Develops program and briefing notes for the SEO, senior dignitaries, and all program participants for formal special events
• Drafts event programs and speaking notes;
• Prepares pre- and post-event analysis, assesses opportunities and makes recommendations for improving service to internal and external constituencies;
• Coordinates event arrangements including the venue, technical staff, food, promotions, special needs, and guest travel and accommodation requirements;
• Develops and ensures the use of project management techniques to prepare detailed schedules and budgets, identifying critical dates and deadlines to ensure that events are managed on time and within an approved budget;
• Prepares event scenarios and develops critical paths to prioritize, plan and execute events;
• Orchestration of events: directing guests and seating arrangements; manages event staff, including volunteers, caterers, audio-visual providers, equipment suppliers, facilities staff, entertainers and security staff
• Maintains database of campus events and guests in attendance;
• Provides advice, to staff and faculty, on event coordination and loans specialized event equipment.
• Negotiates pricing and services from various vendors such as florists, caterers, audio-visual providers, photographers, equipment rental companies and entertainers
• Establishes positive relationships with on-campus departments to efficiently meet individual event requirements
Participates and contributes to the monthly University Community Relations team meeting.
Other duties as required.
||• University degree preferred or minimum of College Diploma in related discipline plus two (2) years related administrative experience and/or high profile event coordination experience;
• Software proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Knowledge of event management and project management tools such as Microsoft Project, etc.
• Ability to work well independently on several projects concurrently and possess excellent communication, organizational and creative thinking skills;
• Must be a strategic thinker and creative problem solver;
• Able to work on a number of initiatives concurrently with good interpersonal skills
• Skill to formulate creative ideas, to analyze, evaluate and negotiate details leading to a successful event;
• Strong initiative and customer service orientation, volunteer management skills an asset
• Strong leadership skills providing vision, motivation and guidance to staff, volunteers and members of the university community;
• Flexible, discreet and able to maintain confidential information, knowledge of correct protocol for specific situations;
• Experience working professionally with senior administration and dignitaries
• Using initiative and independent judgment within established policy and procedural guidelines;
Communicating effectively with co-workers, subordinates, superiors, the general public, representatives of public and private organizations and others sufficient to exchange or convey information.
• Understanding of the post-secondary environment is an asset
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
||$43 837 - $48 995
||This is a full-time, limited term position from July 15, 2013 until October 24, 2014.
Hours of Work: The normal hours for this position are Monday to Friday, 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m. However, flexibility of hours is required including the ability to work occasional evenings during the week and some weekends. When possible, the manager will adjust the work schedule such that no greater than 35 hours are worked in a week.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.