Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
||Program Assistant (Graduate Programs, Faculty of Education)
||Faculty of Education
|Job Type :
||Part-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
|Position Summary :
||The Graduate Assistant would support the new Master’s of Education program. The position would consist of various administrative duties, including marketing, communication, and administration. The Graduate Assistant would assist with the recruitment of students both nationally and internationally, and design print advertising as well as posting and maintaining program information on the Faculty of Education’s website. The Graduate Assistant would act as a point person for communications for students within the program, directing their questions to the appropriate faculty member or other staff members as needed, thus providing the students with a consistent touchstone. As such, the Graduate Assistant will be important in establishing and maintaining the sense of Learning Community, particularly when the students are taking courses online or outside of the Faculty of Education. The Graduate Assistant will ensure that all students complete the annual Program Progression Plan (PPP) and assist with the clerical aspects of each student’s Capstone project. The Graduate Assistant would develop a database and filing system in order to effectively manage current students as well as prospective students. This position requires some evenings, weekends, and travel as needed.
- Recruitment and Liaison
- Responds to telephone and email inquiries on admission requirements, admission assessment, and program curriculum;
- Provides preliminary advice and information about the Master’s of Education program to prospective students, including international applicants;
- Coordinates and participates in on/off campus fairs and information sessions for prospective students, as required (evening or weekend work and travel occasionally required);
- Maintains a student inquiry data base to track prospective applicants;
- Develops and fosters relationships with faculty, students, alumni for the purpose of recruiting students;
- Maintains a database for mailings and advertisements to reach the target market;
- Develops recruitment communication strategies including mass mailings to various internal and external audiences;
- Assists Graduate Coordinator with development of presentation materials and correspondence for internal and external audiences;
- Provides project coordination and administrative support to overall marketing strategies as developed by the Graduate Coordinator;
- Creates marketing tools, power point presentations, print, and web based promotional material necessary for recruitment; and
- Maintains archives of recruitment materials. Admission and Student Records
- Completes administrative duties as assigned by the Administrative Manager, the Graduate Coordinator, or Dean;
- Facilitates communication among all stakeholders;
- Provides the first point of contact for all students for university policies, processes, procedures and academic or program regulations;
- Provides appropriate recommendations to international students regarding the admission process;
- Provides support and assistance to the admissions committee in the Faculty of Education and to the Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies on matters pertaining to M.Ed. students;
- Follows up on conditional and probationary offers of admission;
- Trouble-shoots on behalf of students and the Faculty on registration issues;
- Follows up with students and instructors on incomplete or missing registration, and missing grades;
- Maintains the program files;
- Ensures that all students complete the annual Program Progression Plan (PPP);
- Assists with the clerical aspects of each student’s Capstone project;
- Monitors submission of progress, committee and research reports;
- Designs and produces reports using Cognos as needed; ability to consolidate data sources is critical;
- Refers applicants for further information and assistance when appropriate; and
- May take on special projects for the dean, associate dean, or administrative manager.
- Completion of one (1) year in College and four (4) years related experience;
- Excellent verbal and writing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with faculty, students and staff from diverse academic and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work independently in a self-directed manner, organize tasks and set priorities;
- Ability to gain co-operation and support from faculty, staff, students, and other stakeholders;
- Ability to meet deadlines, and to handle multiple tasks and periodic pressure;
- Ability to maintain high standards of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Sound working knowledge of PC platforms, proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software, and email use;
- Ability to persuade and advise internal/external stakeholders
- Diplomacy and sensitivity to needs of a diverse graduate student population;
- Ability to work in a team environment and to serve as a resource for other university representatives involved in the delivery of graduate programs;
- Ability to understand and manage confidential material from internal and external sources; and
- Valid Driver’s Licence. Preferred competencies:
- Familiarity with graduate programs; and
- Knowledge of Banner, Cognos, Microsoft (including Access) and other software programs related to activities of the department.
|Salary Notes :
||This is part-time, limited term leave replacement role from November 26, 2012 to July 15, 2014.
The hours of work are 21 hours/week. May be required to work outside the normal hours of work to include evenings and/or weekends.
This position is currently under review.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.