Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Apply By :
|Position Title :
||Financial Analyst (Science/Music)
|Job Type :
||Full-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
||Director, Budgets & Business Office; Dean of Music and Dean of Science
|Position Summary :
||The incumbent’s primary responsibility is to provide financial support to the Dean and Administrative Manager of the Faculty of Music, and to the Dean and Administrative Manager of the Faculty of Science. The Financial Analyst provides regular reporting, counsel and information, particularly as it relates to financial and budgetary issues. The Financial Analyst makes recommendations on budget planning, financial strategies and deals with confidential financial information. The position works directly with the Deans and the Administrative Managers in approving and allocating funds to budget holders within the faculty.
The incumbent acts as the liaison between the Faculties and Financial Resources. The Financial Analyst will ensure compliance with financial management policies and procedures necessary to ensure effective and efficient operations. The incumbent will work closely with the Director, Budgets & Business Office to ensure consistency of service between Faculties and ensure use and development of financial management best practises. The position’s direct report into financial resources will ensure the incumbent will have full access to all university financial systems and quick access/support to subject matter experts within financial resources.
||Budgeting & Planning
- Oversees and maintains a Financial Model that is used for strategic planning purposes for the units, university, government and investment stakeholders
- Coordinates and sets up fiscal year budgets and distributes details of the approved faculty budgets to the Deans, Administrative Managers and, in the Faculty of Science, Chairs
- Coordinates and prepares multi-year project budgets and forecasts (e.g. Equipment Renewal Projects)
- Assists Faculties with understanding various financial reports
- Prepares custom reports based on individual needs
- Prepares regular budget to actual reports and quarterly variance reports.
- Prepares external reports to granting agencies
- Advises Faculties on financial matters, policies/procedures, financial terminology and standard accounting practices
- Advises on budget methodologies and budget terminology
- Provides advice on establishing reconciliation methods
- Advises Deans and Administrative Managers on all important budget and financial planning matters in a timely manner
- Assists in analyzing details of budgets, actuals and encumbrances
- Provides advice on various methodologies than can be used to analyze budgets and actuals
- Manages the day-to-day financial documents and monitoring of expenses for the Faculty and compare financial results to budget
- Processes budget / actual transfers; Processes correcting journal / budget entry requests by authorized Dean or Administrative Manager
- Provides ad hoc training on individual basis as requested and following formal training offered by Financial Resources
- Trains of Deans and Chairs on the review of financial reports, accounting principles and university financial policies
- Maintains close contact with the Financial Resources department to ensure full utilization and consistency of financial systems, models, policies and procedures
- Serves on committees as appropriate
- Special Project Analysis, Reporting and Other Duties as required
- University degree in Accounting/Business Administration or related discipline, working towards accounting designation (CMA, CGA, CA)
- 3 years related experience, preferable in a Public sector environment
- Advanced spreadsheet skills (Excel) and knowledge of other MS office products (Word, PowerPoint, and Access)
- Ability to adapt and design processes to effectively manage data
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication (oral and written), and persuasion skills
- Ability to manage budgets on an ongoing basis
- Able to develop imaginative and innovative financial solutions
- Ability to analyze numeric and other data, present it an appropriate form
- Maturity of judgement
- Self-motivator and self-starter
|Salary Notes :
||*This is a full-time, limited term leave replacement position up to a duration of twelve (12) months from March 11, 2013 to March 7, 2014.
This position is currently under review.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.