Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Date Posting Closes - External
||Administrative Assistant (Inside-Out Canada)
||Faculty of Social Work-Inside Out Canada
||Part-time, Limited Term
||Inside-Out Canada is a new national educational program, home-based and recently launched at WLU FSW. Utilizing the Inside-Out Prison Exchange Program model, Inside-Out Canada offers post-secondary courses in prisons and jails, with classes comprised of both incarcerated and university-enrolled students, working together as classmates. Courses, offered in many fields, emphasize dialogue, critical thinking, experiential learning and collaboration. I-O C has an institutional/regional capacity and a national capacity. Locally, I-O C runs a program at Grand Valley Prison, with course offerings from FSW, FOA (upcoming) and neighbouring universities. Additional correctional and community partners will likely emerge. This work is overseen by the Co-ordinator.
Nationally, we will offer 60-hour summertime Instructor Trainings each year that will draw faculty from around the country; we will also offer ongoing regional coordination, support and networking. This work is overseen by the Co-ordinator. Inside-Out Canada is strengthened by the presence of the Walls to Bridges Collective (W2BC), a think tank that meets regularly at Grand Valley, comprised of selected students, both inside and outside, who have taken at least one Inside-Out course. W2BC offers workshops and will be part of the Instructor Training team.
The Inside-Out Canada administrative assistant will help to administrate and build the foundation for this new program, which will include the following functions: keep the books and optimize and design the bookkeeping protocols; event planning, with a particular emphasis on the July instructor training, but also including; help to design and maintain tracking and evaluation/archiving tools, so that we can monitor and assess all aspects of the program: this will include dialogue with instructors and alumni in the program; help to develop and maintain a list-serv and a website; field questions from interested faculty, students, and members of the media.
BOOK KEEPING & BUDGET
- Manages all cheque requisitions, PCard accounting, honoraria payments, reimbursements
- Presents monthly budget reports to Co-ordinator
- Designs and oversees online application and registration process for Summer Instructor Training
- Fields questions from trainees
- Coordinates lodging and meeting spaces, on and off campus
- Coordinates travel and food arrangements for all events
- Coordinate clearance checks for prison visitors
- Prepares hand-outs and other written materials to be distributed at events
RESEARCH AND EVALUATION/ARCHIVING
- Helps to design and maintain procedures and tools that will allow us to track instructor and alumni contact information and activities across Canada
- Archives class projects, course syllabi, media pieces
- Provides administrative support around program assessment, both locally and nationally
- Provides administrative support around program research initiatives, both locally and nationally
- Takes the lead on bi-annual funder reports
- Answers phone and inquiry emails
- Helps to maintain list-serv for trained instructors
- If skill sets match, design and maintain Inside-Out Canada website
- Secondary school plus one (1) year post secondary and at least three years of administrative experience is required, preferably in an academic environment.
- Event-planning experience
- Strong communication and public relations skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with individuals from a diverse academic and cultural background; ability to work collaboratively with academic and administrative staff, students, community members and correctional administrators.
- Advanced skills in MS Excel, Adobe, and Banner and Millennium
- Website administration skills an asset
- Ability to interpret Faculty and University policies and procedures
- Strong problem-solving skills are essential, as is good judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, tact and discretion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in proofreading, grammar, spelling, and composition.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and deal with difficult situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Proven initiative, resourcefulness, and demonstrated ability to solve problems.
- Excellent organization, multi-tasking, and time management skills with proven ability to successfully juggle multiple priorities in a busy environment.
- Must have ability to complete tasks accurately with strong attention to detail and ability to review own work for errors and necessary revisions are essential.
- Deep-seated commitment to social justice
- High ethical standards regarding professional and interpersonal relations
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and willingness to travel for events and regional coordination
||This is a part-time, limited term role, working 21 hours per week up to duration of nine (9) months from January 2013 to September 28, 2013.
This position is currently under review.
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.