Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Apply By :
|Position Title :
|Job Type :
||Full-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
||AVP, Financial Resources
|Position Summary :
||The Finance Manager is accountable for providing effective financial management support for the Brantford Campus. Reporting to the AVP, Financial Resources, the incumbent supports the university budget process, including local implementation and preparation and analysis of the operating and ancillary budgets for the Brantford campus (in excess of $17 million). The incumbent ensures compliance with University financial management policies and procedures necessary for the Brantford campus’ efficient operation. The incumbent is responsible for providing financial direction to staff and students who work in campus financial operations. The incumbent reports indirectly to the AVP, Campus Administration & Special Constable Services and works with other Brantford Campus staff in addition to the Financial Resources staff at the Waterloo Campus to ensure effective delivery of local financial services.
Additionally, the incumbent is responsible for providing a broad range of reporting services. He/she will collect, interpret and report on confidential campus information in support of the strategic planning and decision-making activities of Brantford Management. The incumbent provides consultative services to the internal campus community by consolidating and analyzing data in support of special projects. The incumbent will assist with various financial matters, as requested by the AVP, Campus Administration & Special Constable Services and the AVP, Financial Resources in support of university-wide initiatives. He/she will prepare regular and recurring reports to serve the management information needs of internal campus constituents. The Finance Manager will participate on multi-campus university wide coordinating groups responsible for alignment of multi-campus strategic direction and policy.
• As a member of the broader multi-campus University wide Financial and Administration group, consults with the central Finance and Administration office for ensuring alignment with University wide strategic direction, policy, and standards.
• As a member of the Campus Administration Leadership group, ensures activities are aligned with University strategic direction, policy, and standards. Accountable to the AVP, Campus Administration & Special Constable Services for day to day operations including the development of Campus specific operating strategies, protocols, and procedures to meet local operating conditions.
• Implements internal budgetary and financial policy and processes as needed for the campus or as requested by the central Finance office to support University initiatives. Participates in institution-wide projects working with the AVP, Financial Resources such as the annual collection, summarization and preparation of the university fee schedules. Sits on the Non-tuition fee protocol meeting as a resource.
• Provides advice and oversight to departments regarding contract-related payments and costs and processes.
• Other duties as assigned
• Recruit, hire and train Financial Operations staff
• Manage departmental staff, including providing leadership and direction, setting departmental priorities, supervising assigned work, and evaluating performance,
• Manage departmental budget, approving expenditures and allocating resources as needed.
• Responsible for reporting and analysis of the campus budgets (operating, ancillary, specific endowments) on a monthly basis for dissemination to internal constituents. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of budgets, forecasts and actual results is also required to assist in senior management’s review and decision making.
• Directs cash management practices and activities for the campus, overseeing the establishment of campus electronic merchant accounts (e.g. Moneris), advises departments on proper handling of cash and electronic payment data and approves the reconciliation of campus bank accounts.
• Provide financial consulting services, working closely with other departments to gather, consolidate and analyze data, developing financial models and tools in support of special projects and planning initiatives.
• Researches, develops and implements internal financial procedures. Monitors performance and implements procedural improvements as necessary.
• Reviews and approves financial reports prepared by others in the department, ensuring reports are accurate
• Assesses campus financial training needs, in consultation with the Central Finance office creating a proactive annual training plan, developing and delivering training on a wide range of financial processes.
• Within the overall University wide budget process, facilitates the annual university budget-building process locally, working with campus senior management to continuously improve process to maximize efficiency and transparency.
• Using the finance system (Millennium), responsible for maintenance and analysis of campus budgets, managing the continuous updating of all staff position budgets. Reviews and confirms financial feasibility of new hires as needed.
• Prepares forecasts and reports used for funding requests, displaying information in a meaningful manner for a variety of stakeholders.
Makes recommendations to the AVP, Campus Administration & Special Constable Services and other senior management (e.g. Deans) regarding resource allocation.
||• Completion of a recognized accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA)
• University Degree in a related field (i.e. Business Administration)
• 3-5 years working experience in a financial environment on accounting, budgeting, financial reporting and/or analysis
• Advanced spreadsheet skills (Excel) and knowledge of other MS office products
• Preferably knowledge of Banner, Millennium systems
• Familiarity with the Ontario post-secondary education system (university or college)
• Demonstrated proficiency in statistical analysis and data analysis/reporting
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy
• Sound analytical and decision making skills
• Ability to work independently and to set priorities
• Ability to work with confidential material
• Proven ability to effectively lead staff
• Experience preparing and managing a large multi department budget
• Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills with a focus on providing exceptional customer service in a team environment.
||$72 250 - $80 750
|Salary Notes :
||This is a full-time, limited term position from April 14, 2014 - May 15, 2015.
|Please Note :
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.