Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Apply By :
|Position Title :
||Associate University Secretary, Senate
|Job Type :
|Reports To :
||University Secretary & General Counsel
|Position Summary :
||The Associate University Secretary, Senate (AUS-S) coordinates and manages the work of Senate and its standing committees within the bicameral governance structure of the University. The position is responsible for efficient and timely operation of the Senate and its standing and ad hoc committees, is the primary support to Senate members and committee chairs, and is responsible for collaborating in the development and review of university policies approved by Senate. The AUS-S also supports and/or advises university-wide initiatives and processes which impact academic governance.
Senate and Senate Committees
- Coordinates and facilitates the effective and efficient operation of Senate and its standing and ad hoc committees. Committees supported by the Secretariat office include: Executive, Academic Planning, By-laws & Regulations, Nominating, Finance, Student Appeals and Honorary Degree. The position provides primary support for all committees listed, except Finance and Honorary Degrees, which are supported by the Secretariat Officer.
- Liaises with and advises chairs and administrative support staff for those standing committees and divisional/faculty councils not supported by the Secretariat office.
- Develops and delivers comprehensive orientation programs for new Senate and committee members and keeps materials up-to-date and relevant.
- Researches and evaluates best practices and practices at other universities to ensure appropriate systems and procedures are in place for the effective operation of Senate.
- Collaborates with the Secretariat Officer and council and committee chairs and administrative support staff in scheduling meetings, developing agendas and preparing and disseminating materials for Senate and Senate committee meetings.
- Serves as recording secretary for Senate and the majority of Senate committees supported by the Secretariat office.
- Coordinates follow-up on emergent business from Senate and Senate committees.
- Provides primary support for Senate, Senate committees and chairs.
- Researches and advises on policy development.
- Facilitates the implementation of policies and procedures as approved by the Senate and the effective and accurate communication to the university community.
- Supports the development and review of university policies approved by Senate.
- Support and/or coordinates strategic planning related to academic governance, including administrative support, coordinating governing body approval, drafting reports and presentations, and monitoring implementation.
- Provides advice to Senate, applicable standing committees and the broader University community on processes (including elections) based on the University Act, respective by-laws, and best practices.
- Monitors and facilitates compliance with the University Act, the by-laws of Senate and applicable agreements with faculty, staff and students.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in related field.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with sensitive and confidential information in an appropriate and effective manner.
- A high degree of diplomacy and tact.
- Exceptional communication skills (written and oral), including report writing and preparing presentations.
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Sound judgment and the ability to work independently.
- Professional demeanor and ability to relate effectively with senior administrators, faculty, staff and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of university policies and governance structure.
- Knowledge and application of standard rules of meeting conduct.
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple ongoing projects.
||$60,886 - $68,050
|Please Note :
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.