Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Apply By :
|Position Title :
||Information Specialist – Data Entry
||Office of the Registrar
|Job Type :
||Full-time, Limited Term
|Reports To :
||Associate Registrar, Records
|Position Summary :
||Reporting directly to the Associate Registrar, Records, and supervised by the Co-ordinator of Records, the two Information Specialist positions have faculty assignments in the first instance but have the necessary knowledge and skills to provide backup for the other. The Faculty assignments are 1) Arts, and Graduate Studies and 2) Music, Education, Science, School of Business and Economics and Brantford Campus. The Information Specialist is responsible for maintenance of the confidential electronic data records and hard copy record file of the students’ progress from admission to convocation/graduation making timely, accurate and appropriate entries and corrections for the current student populations of approximately 13,500 undergraduate students at Waterloo Campus, 2,500 undergraduate students at Brantford Campus, and 1,500 graduate students. The Information Specialist works to contribute to the efficient and accurate operation of the Records area thereby supporting the academic mission of the University.
From time to time staffing levels may require an additional responsibility to provide backup handling telephone, email and in-person enquiries from students, others acting on behalf of students, members of the public, faculty members and WLU staff.
The Office of the Registrar provides service to the Faculties of Arts, Education, Music, Science, School of Business & Economics, graduate programs in all Faculties and all programs at Brantford Campus.
||• The Information Specialist is required to understand in detail the complex academic regulations of the University’s Senate, Faculty Councils and Departments and to continually update knowledge of regulations as they are altered or revised by the various governing bodies;
• Responsible for accurately interpreting and applying the appropriate regulations and policies to the cases presented by students in order to offer them information concerning their situation and advise them of the appropriate course of action. Error in this activity may have substantial negative consequences for the student’s academic career, financial situation and level of satisfaction with the University. It may also create a situation of legal vulnerability for the University;
• Required detailed understanding of various administrative procedures of each of the Faculties and School, with respect to generation, alteration and status of academic records, program offering, course offerings, and situations requiring petition;
• Responsible for data entry into real-time confidential student records. Accuracy is paramount as these functions directly/immediately affect all Registrarial reports, fee assessments, OSAP assessments and government reporting;
• Data entry and verification of academic program selection, continuation for students on probation, leaves of absence or lapsed registration, WLU equivalencies, course enrolment, grade revision entry, academic standings/decisions, comments, graduation application status, withdrawals, letters of permission (both incoming and outgoing), athletic eligibility, petition decisions, and biographical updates including name changes, citizenship status (affecting fee assessment), address changes;
• For International Exchange programs, makes appropriate coding/comment notations to student record in Banner to register them in exchange program and ensures the correct tuition is calculated.
• Secondary responsibility for customer service at front counter of the Registrar’s Office covering break and lunch times, appointment and illness times (as arranged by the Associate Registrar, Records) for the Customer Service: Front Line Specialist staff handling in-person, telephone and email contacts. This also includes specific procedural knowledge to handle processing of verification of enrolment letter/forms and requests for transcripts including processing of payment for services (cash, cheque, One-Card and credit card payments);
• Accurate handling of monies (cash, cheque and credit card charges through the One-Card online system) collected in payment of transcript orders, official letters and forms to be generated and verified by the Office of the Registrar;
• International Exchange Program students both incoming and outgoing, maintains the biographical record and enters all course enrolments;
• Required detailed understanding of how LORIS (Laurier Online Registration Information System) functions, and the ability to provide students with detailed step-by-step instructions on the telephone, by email, or in-person)on how to use LORIS to register for courses;
• Provides instructions to faculty and department staff members for online grade submission;
• Prepares files for annual data retention exercise and scanning process as required;
• Assists with other positions in the Office of the Registrar from time to time as training requires and work load makes possible;
• Required to complete additional tasks as directed by the Associate Registrar, Records.
||• Completion of one (1) year post-secondary school education plus one (1) year related work experience including data-entry and registrarial experience;
• Working knowledge of LORIS, BANNER, MS Office, Wordperfect software;
• Excellent problem-solving skills, including logical thinking and decision-making skills with attention to detail and accuracy, and the ability to work with a high degree of independence in a stressful student-centered service environment;
• Proven ability to sustain a high degree of concentration on detailed information on both paper and computer screens;
• The capacity to understand and apply University policies and procedures and the ability to accurately apply them to individual client situations;
• Excellent customer service skills;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize and adapt as needed in a high-volume rapidly changing environment;
• Proven ability to work in a confidential service environment. Must use tact, diplomacy and compassion in all dealings with students who may respond with frustration and hostility to negative decisions and policies with which they are not in agreement;
||$23.64 - $27.82
|Salary Notes :
||This is a full-time, limited term position until August 26, 2013.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.