Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
|Posting ID :
|Date Posting Closes - External :
|Position Title :
||Associate Director, Development, Faculty of Science
|Job Type :
|Reports To :
||AVP, Development & Campaign Director with accountability to the Dean of Science
|Position Summary :
||The Associate Director, Development, Faculty of Science, is accountable for all aspects of major gift fundraising within the Faculty of Science. The incumbent will work collaboratively and strategically with the Dean, faculty members, and other colleagues to pursue a highly targeted approach toward identifying, cultivating, soliciting and providing stewardship to prospects and donors intended to secure financial support at the major gift level. These strategies will reflect the priorities and values of the Faculty of Science within a broad plan established by Development & Alumni Relations in consultation with Faculty leadership.
The Associate Director will develop annual performance goals with measureable outputs, including financial targets for new gifts and pledges in consultation with the Vice-President, Development & Alumni Relations, the Assistant Vice-President, Development & Campaign Director and the Dean of Science. The Associate Director will play a prominent role in a pan-University major fundraising campaign, for which a public announcement is planned for 2015.
Major Gift Fundraising and Prospect Management
- Manages an assigned list of 100-150 donors and prospects representing individuals, corporations, foundations and associations for the purpose of securing financial support at a major gift level ($50,000+);
- Develops and implements strategies for identification, cultivation, and solicitation of prospects to achieve financial targets;
- Coordinates prospect/donor calls, makes visits and conducts all necessary follow-up including correspondence to donors, contact reports, updates to Banner (prospect management system), and input into the drafting of terms and conditions of gift agreements;
- Develops funding proposals in collaboration with our Communications team, submits and conducts necessary follow ups with prospective donors;
- Develops and implements, in concert with the AVP Development & Campaign Director and the Donor Relations Officer, stewardship strategies for donors, including gift announcements, donor cultivation/recognition events, and reports to donors on progress and outcomes of fundraising projects they have supported with a view to strengthening those relationships;
- Accountable for the coordination of development-oriented events of interest and value to prospects and donors of the Faculty of Science.
Faculty Specific Fundraising Planning, Strategy Development & Reporting
- Plans and implements the Faculty of Science’s involvement in the overall Development program; collaborates with Faculty resources in fulfilling the plan;
- Maintains a good working knowledge of the activities, priorities and needs in teaching, research and other areas of the Faculty.
- Reports bi-weekly to the AVP, Development & Campaign Director and, at minimum, on a monthly basis to the Dean of Science on all major gift fundraising initiatives.
- Recommends specific actions to increase the effectiveness of development activities including own performance;
- Strategically engages and supports the Dean and individual faculty members in fundraising activities on behalf of the unit;
- Develops and implements plans for fundraising activities that support the priorities of the faculty including specific measureable goals for visits and solicitations;
- In conjunction with the AVP, Development & Campaign Director, identifies government matching programs to maximize impact of donations;
- Develops reports on fundraising progress;
- Regularly participates in meetings of the Faculty Divisional Council or other relevant bodies by reporting regularly on development activities;
- Works collaboratively with the Annual Giving and Alumni Relations teams to ensure prospect identification and relationship building occurs;
- Maintains a high degree of sensitivity to the specific needs, values and culture of Science.
- Collaborates with the Manager of Communications’ team (within Development and Alumni Relations) to prepare and coordinate all communication pertaining to fundraising within the unit;
- In conjunction with the Manager of Communications, prepares and edits relevant communications materials, such as project descriptions, case statements, funding proposals, and gift agreements.
- Assists and advises the AVP, Development & Campaign Director on specific fundraising initiatives and strategies.
- Coordinates the activities of the Dean’s External Science Advisory Council (DESAC)
Volunteer Management, Faculty Liaison and Administration
- Identifies, recruits and manages volunteers to assist in fundraising activities as appropriate;
- Provides direction and advice to student fundraising initiatives;
- In consultation with other colleagues, ensures the effective and efficient use of centralized resources and information;
- As required, contributes to the preparation and management of the annual budget for Development and Alumni Relations;
- Assists in the management of the daily activities of the Development Assistant who supports the AD, Faculty of Science.
- Minimum undergraduate degree, preferably in a discipline of the Faculty of Science, plus five (5) to seven (7) years’ experience in major gift fundraising, preferably in a post secondary fundraising and donor relations function (or relevant experience);
- A strong commitment to post secondary education and continuous learning;
- Sound knowledge of the vision and objectives of the Department of Development & Alumni Relations and the Faculty of Science;
- An understanding of ethical fundraising practices and the various regulations and guidelines pertaining to fundraising;
- Demonstrated success working with volunteers and colleagues; personable, outgoing, detail-oriented;
- Strong planning and project management skills;
- Proficiency in the use of data base management tools, contact management software, and office management software;
- Proven track record of success in major gift fundraising;
- Collaboration and teamwork; able to play a key role in the overall Development Team;
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills;
- An understanding and appreciation of the disciplines within the Faculty of Science an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of organizations partial to funding science-related projects an asset.
||$71,332 - $79,165
|Please Note :
Please upload a resume and cover letter.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with the best available candidates who have the appropriate combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job description in an accessible format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007.