Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||Part-time Librarian (Leave Replacement)
||August 19, 2013 to August 15, 2014
Part-time contract, 20 hours/week
Departments: User Services; Collection Development and Acquisitions
Wilfrid Laurier University Library is seeking a librarian to fill a 12 month part time leave replacement position as liaison librarian with special emphasis on science.
The Laurier Library has a total staff of 56, including 19 librarians, and provides access to over 30,000 full-text online journals, indexes and e-books and more than 1.6 million print volumes. As part of the TriUniversity Group of Libraries Laurier students, faculty and staff may use and borrow materials from the University of Guelph and the University of Waterloo libraries. The Laurier Library works with the Brantford Public Library to provide services and materials to the Laurier Brantford campus. The Library is undergoing a process of change and renewal following from a 2011 external review.
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading Canadian university known for academic excellence and a culture that inspires lives of leadership and purpose. Laurier has a distinct commitment to teaching, research, and scholarship, combined with a strong student focus, high levels of student satisfaction and a deep sense of community. Laurier’s innovative educational model purposefully integrates the academic learning experience with an experiential learning component. The university has more than 17,000 students throughout its campuses in Waterloo and Brantford and locations in Kitchener and Toronto. The university celebrated its centennial in 2011.
• research assistance in science, including Biology, Health Sciences, Chemistry, Mathematics, Kinesiology, and Physics and Computer Science
• developing and managing print and electronic science collections
• proactive outreach and liaison to promote library collections and services to the faculty and students in the Faculty of Science
• delivering library instruction to students, faculty and staff
• preparing user guides and web pages
• may include general assistance in all subjects, including some evening and weekend hours of service.
• serving on library and university committees
• ALA accredited MLIS or equivalent
• Recent work experience with science databases and resources
• Recent experience providing library reference services for science
• Current knowledge of information technologies and their application in libraries
• Current knowledge of scholarly communications issues as they relate to science
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
• Strong computer literacy, experience with web page creation, and ability to learn new technologies quickly
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, changing environment and to manage a diverse workload
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Ability to relate well to diverse groups of faculty, students and staff
• Demonstrable overall understanding of current library practice, including collection management, information retrieval, and instructional services
• Instruction or training experience
• Educational background in science
• Experience with collection management for science or related collections
• Work experience in an academic library
• Master’s degree in a related discipline
This position is a part-time, limited term appointment for 20 hours per week, which will be available from Aug 19, 2013 to Aug 15, 2014. The appointment will be made at a level commensurate with qualifications and experience, anticipated at Librarian I or II. Salary, benefits and terms of employment are governed by the Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty Association Part-Time Collective Agreement at: www.wlufa.ca/the-agreements-2/part-time-collective-agreement.
||July 26, 2013
|Submit with Application
Address Applications to:
This appointment is in accordance with the Part-time Contract Academic Staff Collective Agreement, for which the Wilfrid Laurier Faculty Association (WLUFA) is the exclusive bargaining agent.
Please email application, along with the names and contact information of three references, in a single Word or PDF file, by July 26, 2013 to:
Wilfrid Laurier University
Pursuant to Article 13.4.1 of the Collective Agreement for Part-time Contract Academic Staff (CAS) and Part-time Librarians (2010 to 2013), all applicants may apply by e-mail, but shall also forward a hard copy of their application.
Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to employment equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons, and persons of a visible minority. To obtain a copy of this job posting in an accessible format, please contact the University Librarian.