Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||VON is Canada's largest, national, not-for-profit, charitable home and community care organization. We are a national health organization and registered charity offering a wide range of community health care solutions that meet the needs of Canadians from coast to coast. VON is committed to continuous quality improvement and is accredited by the Accreditation Canada.
||4387 - ME - RPT
||Personal Support Worker OR Developmental Services Worker
|Hours Per Week
|Program or Dept.
The PSW or DSW provides personal care and health maintenance to individuals and families in the home setting within the framework of VON philosophy, policies, procedures and standards, in community health care.
The successful candidate will work in one of the following areas:
- Southwest London
- South London
- East London
- North Middlesex County, including Lucan, Ilderton, and other
This posting may be for weekends only (with flexibility to increase hours during the week), or may also be for weekends plus two evenings per week (minimal requirement).
Candidates must be available to work the following type of shift every other weekend, which iincludes Friday evening, Saturday/Sunday [full day] and may be split shifts (which typically means a break mid-day):
- 8:00AM to 1:00PM and then 5:00PM to 9:00PM or 6:00PM to 10:00PM on the same day. This is subject to change based upon business needs.
- Based upon a candidate's availability and program/business needs, scheduled hours per week may be as high as 44
** The successful candidate must have access to a reliable car and a valid driver's license to work in the Home Support program.
The successful candidate will collaborate with other health care team members where and when appropriate. At all times, they will follow an established plan of care and delegation of procedures that meets the needs of the individual and family.
PSWs hired for VON Middlesex-Elgin may be required to work in multiple programs.
- Registration with the PSW Registry Ontario will be required: http://pswregistry.org/Pages/en/Default.aspx
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches course completion an asset
- Fundamentals of Palliative Care - Level I completion is preferred
- Current CPR and First Aid certification will be requested
- Pediatric experience is an asset
- Household management experience
- Experience working with elderly or ill individuals
- Awareness of community resources
- Must be able to communicate well, both written and verbal
- Good assessment skills
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team, take direction well and work independently
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance
- Current criminal background check will be requested
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
||London & Middlesex
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
VON Canada offers:
- Career advancement opportunities
- Training and skills development
- Flexible hours
- Competitive compensation
- Group benefit coverage
- Pension plan
- Annual vacation and sick leave entitlement
- Employee assistance program
- Employee recognition programs