Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||VON is Canada's largest, national, not-for-profit, charitable home and community care organization. We are a national health organization and registered charity offering a wide range of community health care solutions that meet the needs of Canadians from coast to coast. VON is committed to continuous quality improvement and is accredited by the Accreditation Canada.
|Total Hours Bi-Weekly
||Adult Day Program
||In conjunction with the Program Manager, the Therapist will plan, implement, and evaluate recreational and social programs for the Adult Day Program. Care is provided within the framework of Quality Management.
The successful candidates will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
- Completes an interest inventory and plans and implements the social and recreational activities for clients, in consultation with the Program Manager
- Develops a progressive program for individuals if indicated
- In certain cases, implements a specific exercise and/or activity program under the direct guidance of the Program Manager
- Assists clients with ADL as required
- Provides group activities based on clients’ interest and level of capabilities, using methods such as topic-oriented discussions, language stimulation, fitness programs, and special interest projects to promote group identity, interaction and feelings of well being, usefulness and self-esteem
- Ensures safety and security measures for the clients and staff
- Utilizes volunteers’ talents and expertise within the program
- Participates in planning and implementation of volunteer orientation, training and assignment
- Guides and directs the Activity Worker in implementing planned recreational activities if appropriate
- Participates in the development of Day Program services that contribute to the communities understanding of the needs and abilities of the frail, elderly or disabled adult
The ideal candidate must be immediately functional and possess the following qualifications:
- Degree or three year diploma in Recreation Therapy or equivalent
- Certification in gerontology and dementia studies preferred
Membership with TRO
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in gerontology
- Excellent ability to communicate understanding of the aging process
- Experience in working with seniors, adults with physical disabilities or developmental delays and persons with dementia
- Knowledge of community resources
- Excellent prioritizing and organizational skills
- Valid driver’s permit and availability of a vehicle
- GPA (Gentle Persuasive Approach) & P.I.E.C.E.S. an asset