Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||Would you like to join an organization that provides innovative healthcare services across Canada? We are searching for talented individuals to play an important supporting role within the organization. VON is Canada’s largest, national, not-for-profit home and community care organization. We’ve been offering high-quality, innovative care and supports since 1897. Come work with us - it’s a job that matters!
||Labour Relations Officer
|Program or Dept.
||People and Organization
VON Canada is currently looking to fill the position of Regional Labour Relations Officer. This position will represent the VON in collective bargaining, in managing collaborative strategic relationships with our 5 Atlantic Canada unions, advising on collective agreement administration, and providing training, education and support to VON. The role will support the development and implementation of a regional labour relations strategy in the Atlantic Region (NS, NB, NL & PEI).
This position will lead various labour relations functions: grievance administration, collective bargaining, investigations and response.
Work with VON National and Eastern Region leadership in preparing for and conducting collective bargaining; act as Lead for management bargaining team; participate in post-bargaining rollout and training initiatives.
Liaise with union representatives to promote a co-operative and effective labour relations climate.
Serve as the subject matter expert in the interpretation and administration of multiple collective agreements.
Provide strategic guidance to ensure that organizational decisions are in line with the collective agreements, policies, and other employments standards and laws and visa versa.
Support the development of labour relations skills of the management team through active training in labour relations matters including discipline, attendance, conflict resolution, grievance handling.
Support facilitation and resolution of employee conflicts/issues in partnership with the Employee Relations Manager.
Ensure consistent application of collective agreements.
To represent the organization at grievance and arbitration hearings.
- 5-8 years broad and progressively more senior labour relations experience, active participation in collective bargaining (as a member of the bargaining or bargaining support team) and contract administration.
- Undergraduate degree specializing in Human Resource Management, Business Law, or Industrial Relations or a related area of study. Certificate Program in human resource management an asset. Related post-graduate studies also an asset.
- Knowledge of labour/management principles, the Canada Labour Code, employment law, statutes and the Labour Relations Board process. Also familiarity with provincial labour regulations (NS, NB, NL & PEI), collective agreements and various labour organizations.
- Ability to work in a fast paced multi-union environment meeting multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Experience with NSNU, NSGEU & CUPE is an asset.
- Previous healthcare industry experience beneficial but not required.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and verbal/written communication skills.
- Strong negotiation, medication, workplace investigation and conflict resolution skills.
- Relationship management skills, including the ability to quickly earn the trust of internal customers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and HRIS systems.
- Demonstrated commitment to on-going learning and professional development.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Clear criminal background check will be required.
|Other Relevant Information
Extensive travel in Nova Scotia will be required as well as travel within the Eastern Region.Ability to travel nationally when required.
||Eastern Region Client Service Centre
||Nova Scotia [NS]
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
||• Career advancement opportunities
• Training and skills development
• Flexible hours
• Competitive compensation
• Group benefit coverage
• Pension plan
• Annual vacation and sick leave entitlement
• Employee assistance program
• Employee recognition programs