Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||VON is Canada's largest, national, not-for-profit, charitable home and community care organization. We are a national health organization and registered charity offering a wide range of community health care solutions that meet the needs of Canadians from coast to coast. VON is committed to continuous quality improvement and is accredited by the Accreditation Canada.
||4867 - CK Ri/Ble - RPT
||Personal Support Worker
|Hours Per Week
||$14.70 per hour
You will be responsible for providing companionship, personal care and health maintenance services to clients in their home or throughout the community within the framework of VON’s philosophy, policies, standards and legislation. You will work with members of the Health Care and Personal Support Teams to meet the needs of clients in obtaining an optimal level of independence and well-being.
The successful applicant must be available to work approximately 20 hours per week, which will include evenings and weekends.
Members of the SEIU Bargaining Unit recognizing PSWs within the VON - Chatham-Kent will be considered prior to applicants external to the Bargaining Unit.
- Observe the individual/family home and personal situation continuously to determine any need for change in personal support or professional assistance
- Contribute to the development of the personal support care plan, in conjunction with the Supervisor
- Implement the care plan, including:
- Promoting self care and independence
- Providing personal care, as directed by the Supervisor, which includes ambulatory assistance, meal planning and preparation, light housekeeping, respite, training, providing medication assistance, etc.
- Advocate on the client’s behalf to the Program Manager
- Requesting assessment by a health care professional as needed
- Continuously evaluate the personal support care plan to determine if the client’s needs have been met
- Personal Support Worker certification is mandatory
- Registration with the PSW Registry Ontario will be required: http://pswregistry.org/Pages/en/Default.aspx
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches course completion an asset
- Fundamentals of Palliative Care - Level I completion is preferred
- Current CPR and First Aid certification will be requested
- Experience working with the following clients groups is an asset:
- seniors, paediatrics, mental health, cognitive impairment, obstetrics, palliative/oncology, ill individuals
- Alzheimer's or dementias
- Household management experience
- Ability to adjust to working in different social and economic environments
- Awareness of community resources is essential
- Must be able to communicate well, both written and verbally
- Must have good critical thinking, assessment and problem solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team, take direction well and work independently
- Willingness to travel to neighbouring communities
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance
- Current criminal background check will be requested
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
||Ridgetown & Blenheim
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
VON Canada offers:
- Career advancement opportunities
- Training and skills development
- Flexible hours
- Competitive compensation
- Group benefit coverage
- Pension plan
- Annual vacation and sick leave entitlement
- Employee assistance program
- Employee recognition programs