Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||If you, or someone in your family, were recovering from an illness and needed home care, who would you trust? Most Canadians from coast to coast would say VON. The reason: at VON Canada (Victorian Order of Nurses), we believe in treating the whole person, not just their ailment. VON offers more than 75 different home care, personal support, and community services to enhance each client’s quality of life by providing them with the personal assistance and support needed to make them comfortable in their own home. We’ve been doing so for more than 110 years.
||4033 - ME - CAS
||Personal Support Worker - Palliative
|Hours Per Week
||Advanced Care Program/E-Shift
Our Palliative Personal Support Workers have unique opportunities to use their talents every day with every client, as well as the exciting opportunity to be on the cutting edge of home care services in a growing program. VON's Palliative PSWs have the freedom to apply their own brand of care and service that goes hand-in-hand with our practice of making innovative care a reality.
Palliative Personal Support Workers provide specialized palliative care to clients in their homes in conjunction with our our nursing programs.
The successful candidate must be available at least every other weekend [minimum], as well as for both day and overnight shifts. They must also be available for a minimum of two shifts per week. This is subject to change based upon business needs.
Travel throughout London, St. Thomas and Elgin County will be required.
||The Palliative PSW will provide specialized personal support to our palliative clients under the direction of the RN/RPN Delegate.
- Personal Support Worker certification is mandatory
- Registration with the PSW Registry Ontario will be required: http://pswregistry.org/Pages/en/Default.aspx
- Fundamentals of Palliative Care – Level I [or AHPCE] course completion and/or commitment to take the next available course (within the first three months of employment) is mandatory
- Current CPR and First Aid certification will be requested
- 3 to 5 years experience as a PSW; palliative care experience preferred
- Ability to adjust to working in different social and economic environments
- Awareness of community resources is essential
- Must be able to communicate well, both written and verbal
- Must have good critical thinking, assessment and problem solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team, take direction well and work independently
- Willingness to travel to neighboring communities
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance
- Current criminal background check will be requested
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
||London & Middlesex-Elgin
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
||We offer an independent work environment with 24/7 support, ongoing education, in-service, peer support, and a competitive compensation package that may include benefits, pension plan, travel time, and mileage allowance.