Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
||VON is Canada's largest, national, not-for-profit, charitable home and community care organization. We are a national health organization and registered charity offering a wide range of community health care solutions that meet the needs of Canadians from coast to coast. VON is committed to continuous quality improvement and is accredited by Accreditation Canada.
|Program or Dept.
||The SMART Program (Seniors Maintaining Active Roles Together) provides group exercise classes for older adults living independently in the community. It is designed to promote an active, healthy lifestyle and reduce the risk of falls. The Exercise Leader will be trained by the Site Coordinator to implement the program in accordance with VON Standards.
- Lead regularly-scheduled SMART exercise classes twice per week
- Ensure participant feedback reaches coordinator or manager as appropriate
- Contribute to continuing assessment of SMART Program
- Identify and report any safety issues to coordinator or facility representative
- Report all incidents to coordinator in a timely manner in accordance with VON policies and procedures and work with coordinator towards resolution as needed.
- Certification as a SMART Group Fitness Instructor will be provided
- Experience promoting health and well-being through physical activity and leading group fitness classes for older adult is an asset
- Knowledge of precautions and special considerations associated with chronic conditions, including visual impairment, COPD, arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
- Experience working with independent older adults in a community setting
- Must be comfortable working independently
- Working knowledge of privacy and confidentiality
- Excellent communication skills
- Awareness of general safety precautions and ability to recognize safety concerns as they arise
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- Current criminal background check will be requested (including vulnerable sector screen)
- First Aid/CPR certification is required